Americans receive rhetoric that Hamas threatens destruction of Israel, but without substantiation of this damning claim. This claim is often linked to Iran. In support of Israel’s war on Gaza, US Senate Resolution 498: “Whereas Hamas is a United States-designated terrorist organization whose charter calls for the destruction of the State of Israel...” Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu and Consul General Aharoni demonize Hamas on US television repeatedly, emphasizing Hamas intent to destroy Israel.
Israeli leadership continuously claims that Iran threatens to “wipe Israel off the map.” You may recall US presidential candidate Mitt Romney claimed making the same claim, joining previous Bush Administration leadership, Obama, McCain, Sarah Palin, Vice President Joe Biden (with three video clips of total 5-minutes to see and hear for yourself), Mrs. Clinton, Romney, Gingrich, Santorum, Bachmann, Perry, Huntsman (2-minute video to see and hear).
The Daily Caller repeats this claim as I write; without reference to Iran’s military calling for truce and their Foreign Ministry repeating that Iran historically and currently seeks Palestinian rights, and with competing claims the Daily Caller source (Ayatollah Ali Khamenei) only urges resistance to Israel’s military occupation and invasion. The Daily Caller omits Khamenei’s solution for Israel: democratic referendum with zero harm to anyone of Jewish religion. More articles similar to the Daily Caller will be published.
So this raises the critical question:
Is there any truth to the claim that Hamas or Iran threaten to destroy Israel?
If both claims are obvious and easily-proven lies, would that evidence be sufficient to demand arrests of US and Israel “leaders” with their media for War Crimes?
Let’s look at both claim’s sources of information with some relevant history.
1. Israel/US claims Hamas threatens to destroy Israel
Hamas is a political organization that won the most recent Palestinian elections in 2006 (new elections planned for 2014); called “completely honest and fair” by President Carter. Historically, Hamas was initially encouraged and supported by Israel in effort to divide Palestinian government from unified voice in having a two-state peace between Israel and Palestine. However, peaceful coexistence with Israel is what Hamas proposes (and here), including a 10-year truce.
Hamas’ Charter reveals US/Israel lies in omission, and more rationally provide direct refutation of this claim. In the section titled, “Our Attitudes Towards:” Section F, “Followers of other religions: the Islamic Resistance Movement is a humanistic movement,” Article 31:
“The Islamic Resistance Movement is a humanistic movement. It takes care of human rights and is guided by Islamic tolerance when dealing with the followers of other religions. It does not antagonize anyone of them except if it is antagonized by it or stands in its way to hamper its moves and waste its efforts.
Under the wing of Islam, it is possible for the followers of the three religions - Islam, Christianity and Judaism - to coexist in peace and quiet with each other. Peace and quiet would not be possible except under the wing of Islam. Past and present history are the best witness to that.
It is the duty of the followers of other religions to stop disputing the sovereignty of Islam in this region [Palestine], because the day these followers should take over there will be nothing but carnage, displacement and terror. Everyone of them is at variance with his fellow-religionists, not to speak about followers of other religionists. Past and present history are full of examples to prove this fact.
"They will not fight against you in a body, except in fenced towns, or from behind walls. Their strength in war among themselves is great: thou thinkest them to be united; but their hearts are divided. This, because they are people who do not understand." (The Emigration - verse 14).
Islam confers upon everyone his legitimate rights. Islam prevents the incursion on other people's rights. The Zionist Nazi activities against our people will not last for long. "For the state of injustice lasts but one day, while the state of justice lasts till Doomsday."
"As to those who have not borne arms against you on account of religion, nor turned you out of your dwellings, Allah forbiddeth you not to deal kindly with them, and to behave justly towards them; for Allah loveth those who act justly." (The Tried - verse 8).
The charter continues argument that peaceful coexistence is possible despite a history from the Crusades forward to remove Palestinian political voice through foreign military invasions.
For current consideration that Hamas just wants Palestinian freedom and independence from Israel’s military occupation: What does Hamas really want? Israeli journalist Gideon Levy on ending the crippling blockade of Gaza.
In 2012, Israel assassinated Palestinian Ahmed Jabari, the second-in-command of those leaders in Palestine with military intent, while they were negotiating with him to end hostilities. If that had happened to Israel’s second-in-command of the IDF, Israel would use that rhetoric forever to justify armed attack upon Gaza.
Ok, so the threat to Israel is... ? The part of the 1988 Hamas Charter apparently referenced as a threat is a quote in the preamble from Hassan al-Banna in 1948:
“Israel will rise and will remain erect until Islam eliminates it as it had eliminated its predecessors.”
Let’s put the insertion of that quote into context; both from 1988 and 1948:
- The 1988 charter was written as the First Intifada began with Palestinians’ political stated goal of a peaceful two-state solution between Israel and Palestine.
- Hassan al-Banna, like Gandhi, was a leader against British colonial rule (his stated philosophy). He was a leader in the 1936-1939 attempt to remove British Empire in Palestine.
- al-Banna’s 1948 statement was directly related to the 1948 Palestinian exodus, whereby over 700,000 Palestinians fled their homes in fear of their lives or were forcefully expelled by Israel’s military. One-hour documentary here from Professor Ilan Pappe; 28-minute debate here.
- The Palestinians removal from their homes without compensation is a key unresolved point in current Israel-Palestinian conflict, and a primary cause of Gaza’s crowded conditions.
- al-Banna was shot and assassinated just a year after Gandhi was shot and assassinated. His last public statement emphasized terrorism is rejected in Islam.
So, given the context that al-Banna was justified in opposing colonialism, spoke against the use of terror, made his quote in response to over 700,000 Palestinians removed from their homes when my own parents were in their early 20’s of age, and Hamas directly advocates for a peaceful two-state solution with honor to all religions, it seems most likely that this quote is being used as propaganda to demonize Hamas.
The term “eliminated” in context to reject terrorism therefore means political removal of control, like elimination of British political imperialism as Gandhi worked to achieve in India.
2. Israel/US claims Iran threatens to destroy Israel, to “wipe them off the map”
With transcript following, these are the points of a 2005 speech by Iranian President Ahmadinejad that Israel and US point to as the source of this claim:
- What is the issue between Palestine and Israel? It is not a fight over religion or land.
- People once thought it was impossible to remove the Shah as Iran’s dictator, but it was done.
- People thought the Soviet government and Saddam’s government would never fall, but they did.
- He then quoted a religious leader’s words from speeches he gave encouraging Iran’s persistence to oppose the Shah’s occupying regime. The speech’s crystal-clear content and context is to encourage people to persist for justice from Israel’s government because they act as a military-occupying regime over Palestine.
- Israel attempts a “trick” in 2005 to pretend to leave Gaza and offer Palestine their own government. The purpose of the trick is to use mischief to keep Palestinians fighting among themselves.
- The issue of Palestine and Israel will be truly over if Palestinians can get through Israel’s tricks and have political independence from Israel under their own democracy.
- He closes with emphasis that Israel is tricking Palestinians, and have no intention for Palestine to be their own country.
Transcript: from the New York Times (Oct. 30, 2005), and credit to this outstanding report from Information Clearing House:
“We need to examine the true origins of the issue of Palestine: is it a fight between a group of Muslims and non-Jews? Is it a fight between Judaism and other religions? Is it the fight of one country with another country? Is it the fight of one country with the Arab world? Is it a fight over the land of Palestine? I guess the answer to all these questions is ‘no.’
... Let’s take a step back. We had a hostile regime in this country which was undemocratic, armed to the teeth and, with SAVAK, its security apparatus of SAVAK [the intelligence bureau of the Shah of Iran's government; the Shah installed by US overthrow of Iran’s democracy in 1953 with SAVAK trained by US CIA killing thousands of Iranians seeking democracy] watched everyone. An environment of terror existed. When our dear Imam [Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of the Iranian revolution] said that the regime must be removed, many of those who claimed to be politically well-informed said it was not possible. All the corrupt governments were in support of the regime when Imam Khomeini started his movement. All the Western and Eastern countries supported the regime even after the massacre of September 7  and said the removal of the regime was not possible. But our people resisted and it is 27 years now that we have survived without a regime dependent on the United States. The tyranny of the East and the West over the world should have to end, but weak people who can see only what lies in front of them cannot believe this.
Who would believe that one day we could witness the collapse of the Eastern Empire? But we could watch its fall in our lifetime. And it collapsed in a way that we have to refer to libraries because no trace of it is left. Imam [Khomeini] said Saddam must go and he said he would grow weaker than anyone could imagine. Now you see the man who spoke with such arrogance ten years ago that one would have thought he was immortal, is being tried in his own country in handcuffs and shackles by those who he believed supported him and with whose backing he committed his crimes.
Our dear Imam said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement. We cannot compromise over the issue of Palestine. Is it possible to create a new front in the heart of an old front. This would be a defeat and whoever accepts the legitimacy of this regime [Israel] has in fact, signed the defeat of the Islamic world. Our dear Imam targeted the heart of the world oppressor in his struggle, meaning the occupying regime. I have no doubt that the new wave that has started in Palestine, and we witness it in the Islamic world too, will eliminate this disgraceful stain from the Islamic world. But we must be aware of tricks [by Israel on Palestine].
... Recently they [the Israelis] tried a new trick. They want to show the evacuation from the Gaza strip, which was imposed on them by Palestinians, as a final victory for the Palestinians and end the issue of Palestine with the excuse of establishing a Palestinian government next to themselves. Today, they want to involve Palestinians with mischief and trick them into fighting with one another over political positions so that they would drop the issue of Palestine.
... The issue of Palestine is not over at all. It will be over the day a Palestinian government, which belongs to the Palestinian people, comes to power; the day that all refugees return to their homes; a democratic government elected by the people comes to power. Of course those who have come from far away to plunder this land have no right to choose for this nation.
... If we get through this brief period successfully, the path of eliminating the occupying regime [Israel’s military occupation of Palestine] will be easy and down-hill.
I warn all leaders of the Islamic world that they should be aware of this trick.”
And from Arash Norouzi’s clear reporting:
“So what did Ahmadinejad actually say? To quote his exact words in Farsi:
“Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad.”
That passage will mean nothing to most people, but one word might ring a bell: rezhim-e. It is the word “regime.” pronounced just like the English word with an extra “eh” sound at the end. Ahmadinejad did not refer to Israel the country or Israel the land mass, but the Israeli regime. This is a vastly significant distinction, as one cannot wipe a regime off the map. Ahmadinejad does not even refer to Israel by name, he instead uses the specific phrase ”rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods” (regime occupying Jerusalem).
So this raises the question.. what exactly did he want “wiped from the map”? The answer is: nothing.”
If you have friends and/or professionals fluent in Farsi, they can confirm this information for you.
So: let’s summarize the Iranian president’s speech at the center of US/Israel claims that Iran threatens to “wipe Israel off the map” in historical context:
- In 1953, US CIA Operation Ajax violently and in an unlawful act of war overthrew Iran’s democracy. The US and UK, in Orwellian contrast to Cold War rhetoric, installed a vicious dictatorship with secret police force to crush Iranian voice for democracy.
- The puppet Shah and SAVAK killed thousands of Iranians just for wanting democracy. When the Shah fled to the US in 1979, the US refused extradition to Iran for these murders. That is what sparked the hostage crisis, which would have ended upon US agreement to return the Shah to Iran for trial.
- The Shah exiled in 1964 the strongest religious opposing voice, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who repeatedly encouraged his countrymen and women with a phrase: the Shah’s regime will end (awkwardly translated from Farsi as “removed from the page of time”). This historical phrase is what Ahmadinejad used in his 2005 speech, thereby proving Iran is encouraging Palestinians to persist against an occupying regime for their own democracy.
- After the 1979 Iran Revolution ending the Shah’s US-sponsored brutal dictatorship, and Iran rejected further US control, the US armed and supported the US-sponsored brutal dictatorship in Iraq under Saddam Hussein to attack, invade, and attempt to capture Iran in an unlawful War of Aggression from 1980-1988. This war killed ~ one million Iranians.
- The US attacked and destroyed Iranian oil platforms and facilities in that war, and shot down commercial airliner 655 in Iran’s airspace, killing all 293 on board. Vice-President Bush said he would never apologize for the United States and, “I don’t care what the facts are.”
- When Iran began selling oil for currencies other than dollars in 2005, that began US rhetoric to demonize and attack Iran again. This followed US war on Iraq after they began selling oil for currencies other than dollars. After US war on Iraq, the policy was changed to selling Iraq oil only for dollars.
- US official policy allows first-strike nuclear weapons use on Iran if the US claims Iran is a threat to the US or Israel.
- IAEA confirms all Iran’s nuclear material is lawfully used for energy and medicine. There has never been one violation, ever. The US and Israel continually lie to fear-monger that perhaps Iran has a “secret facility” without ever offering evidence (also here, here).
- The US CIA continually work to overthrow Iran’s government, with spy operations legally defined as acts of war.
- Official US agencies confirm all reasons for war on Iraq and Afghanistan beginning in 2001 were known to be false as they were told, with Wars of Aggression not even close to lawful.
US and Israel political and corporate media “leadership” damn themselves as War Criminals and psychopaths by taking a speech admonishing Israel to act legally and morally with Palestine, and lying that it says to physically “wipe Israel off the map.”
To clarify other war propaganda:
Conclusion: As I’ve often expressed, US military, government (including law enforcement), and millions of Americans (including all California public employees) have Oaths to “defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” It’s hard to imagine a worse domestic enemy than those who knowingly lie for unlawful attack on foreign countries, resulting in millions of war-deaths.
I recommend demanding immediate arrests because war law is so clear with US/Israel violations so “Emperor’s New Clothes” and “Big Lie” obvious, the importance to remove these people from power of literally life-and-death urgency, and because Wars of Aggression is the Orwellian opposite of upholding the US Constitution and the promised peace from all our families’ sacrifices of opposing imperialism, two world wars, and neo-colonialism extending to our world of the present.