Football player ant bites cause a severe allergic reaction. Cameron Espinosa, 12, dies after being attacked at halftime while warming up in Corpus Christi, Texas. According to the Las Vegas Sun on Sept. 18, he died days after in a hospital.
The boy used a water bottle to try to flush away the ants Sept. 11 before eventually losing consciousness, said Lorette Williams, spokeswoman for the Corpus Christi Independent School District.
The football player ant bites would have been attended to by medics immediately, but they only attend high school games as this was a middle school event. Coaches are trained in first-aid and they did use a defibrillator on the boy before he was taken to a hospital by ambulance.
Espinosa, the football player ant bites victim, had no idea that he was allergic to ants. The game continued, but was later halted when news of his condition came from the hospital. He was in critical condition over the weekend and died on Monday. According to the New York Daily News, anthills were scattered across the football field where the attack occurred.
A memorial is being planned and both students and teachers have been wearing ribbons with his number, "66", on them.
What do you think about the football player ant bites story? Please drop in your comments below.
For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please subscribe at the bottom of the page and join my group on Facebook, Top Trending News.
Recent articles from this Examiner (click on the link to read):