No matter what your sport may be, we are all taught as youngsters to abide by a set of ethics. Now, Project Aware is giving fellow divers a modernized set of ocean ethics to follow on a daily basis as they dive, travel and just basically live the active ocean lifestyle that brings them total enjoyment. Even though you may think that one person cannot solely make a difference, think about multiplying that one by the number of divers in the world today, and with that result, we can move mountains and make a huge impact on the marine world and the ocean in which they inhabit.
You must always remember the ten tips for Divers to Protect The Ocean Planet:
- Be a buoyancy expert. By mastering buoyancy, you are less likely to come into direct contact with our most fragile parts of the reefs.
- Be a role model and show beginner divers how it is done so they may follow your lead.
- Take only photos - leave only bubbles. Remember to leave beauty where it belongs.
- Protect Underwater Life. Don't stress the fish. Understand that you are a stranger in their world and that is stressful enough.
- Become a Debris Activist and always do your best to buy green, buy local and buy less.
- Make responsible seafood choices. Overfishing is extremely damaging and leads to pollution of our underwater eco-systems.
- Take action. Do your part because even the smallest of actions will lead to positive change. Be an ocean advocate and speak up for ocean conservation.
- Be an eco-tourist. Be conscious about choosing dive destinations that continually practice ocean conservation and respect local cultures, laws and regulations.
- Try to shrink your carbon footprint.
- Give back. Whatever you do makes the diving experiences for all others even more awesome. Try to take part in fundraisers to bring about change so that we can have a healthier ocean planet.
There are just two more small requests that can get this initiative started on the right track:
- Sign the pledge to always follow these ten guidelines.
- Share with your dive buddies: I took the #10Tips4Divers Pledge @projectaware.org
Take one dive at a time and save the ocean with your conservation measures. Spread the word.