George Harrison fans gathered at the Second Annual George Harrison Birthday Tribute Feb. 25 at the Abilene Bar & Lounge in downtown Rochester, NY., Ray Paul tells Beatles Examiner. “Despite the bitter 10-degree temperature and brutal wind chill, it was packed wall to wall,” he said. The club had a full house filled with the cream of local musicians and Beatles fans out to pay tribute to George Harrison.
"It was such a fun night. So many great musicians who came together to make this a memorable night and a recurring event,” Paul said. “Don Christiano did a great job in organizing the event. And we always feel right at home at Abilene thanks to owner Danny Deutsch. Great music plus great musicians and super nice people truly does make a great night."
The evening's show included not only Beatles songs written by George Harrison, but plenty of solo and obscure Harrison songs. Don Christiano opened the evening playing three songs solo, then he joined in and backed up each performer who took the stage, Paul said. The show ran non-stop for 2 hours and 20 minutes.
"Non-stop music of George Harrison done by the areas finest musicians and hosted by Don Christiano. Great fun - well done mate, well done!" said musician Ken Columbo, who attended the event and posted a comment on Facebook.
You can see pictures from the show in the slideshow and on this page.
Here are the performers and their set list in order:
- Don Christiano (solo): “Run Of The Mill,” “Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp,” “Do You Want To Know A Secret.”
- Kerry Regan: “Long, Long, Long,” “Old Brown Shoe.”
- Spencer Christiano and Rita Coulter: “Here Comes The Sun,” “Handle With Care.”
- Rita Coulter: “If Not For You,” “What Is Life.”
- Steve Piper: “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” “That's The Way It Goes.”
- Ray Paul: “Blow Away,” “This Is Love.”
- Steve Tortoretti With Ray Paul: “I Need You,” “I'm Happy Just To Dance With You.”
- Tom Passamonte: “Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby,” “For You Blue.”
- John Dady: “Any Road,” “Isn't It A Pity.”
- Steve Lyons: “If I Needed Someone,” “I'd Have You Anytime.”
- Dan Schmitt: “Beware Of Darkness,” “P2 Vatican Blues.”
- Todd Bradley: “Crying, Waiting, Hoping,” “Glad All Over.”
- Dan Eilenberg: “Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth.”
- Todd Bradley & Dan Eilenberg: “Chains.”
- Todd Bradley & John Dady: “I'll See You In My Dreams.”
- All (finale): “My Sweet Lord.”