The story of a family awarded $63M in a lawsuit against Johnson and Johnson over Children's Motrin drug is making headlines in the UK Wednesday.
The Daily Mail headline reads, "Teenager wins $109MILLION lawsuit after 90 percent of her skin falls off and she goes blind from allergic reaction to Children's Motrin"
The Mail notes that although the award is for $63M, with interest, that comes to $109M.
The teenager, Samantha Reckis, lost most of her skin when she took a child’s pain reliever over ten years ago. The Boston Globe reported that Reckis developed blisters and fatigue. She was diagnosed with Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, a rare reaction to drugs including ibuprofen, the active ingredient in Children's Motrin.
“It’s like having your skin burned off of you,” said one of the family’s attorneys, Bradley M. Henry of Boston law firm Meehan, Boyle, Black & Bogdanow told the Globe. “Imagine your worst sunburn times 1,000. It’s an absolutely devastating condition.”
The decision was issued Wednesday in Plymouth Superior Court in Massachusetts.
Reekis was only 7 when she was give Motrin. She is 16 now.
Her attorney says she has just 20 percent lung capacity.
Her lawyers successfully argued that Johnson and Johnson did not provide adequate warnings on Motrin.
Do you think the $109M award was excessive? Leave your comments in the Facebook section below.
If you would like to be updated on the family awarded $109M case, please hit the subscribe button above.