As reported by HeraldOnline.com on Monday, August 26, 2013, Goldenfeast Inc. has issued a recall of several exotic bird food blends due to possible contamination of salmonella from parsley flake ingredients. The parsley flakes were supplied by Specialty Commodities, Inc.
Although no human or pet illnesses have been reported to date, Goldenfeast Inc. is initiating this recall in accordance with FDA guidelines.
They say the recalled products were distributed to retailers and distributors in the states of: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, Virginia and Canada.
Please refer to the published article for a complete list of Goldenfeast products that are affected by this voluntary recall.
Customers may contact Goldenfeast at 800-344-6536 between the hours and 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, for instructions on how to return products under recall.
You can also learn more about Goldenfeast products and follow some of their activities on Facebook.
How salmonella poisoning affects humans and pets:
There is salmonella risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Healthy people infected with salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans.
If your pet has consumed the recalled product and displays these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately for further advice.
Subscribe to be alerted when more articles are published; your email address will not be shared.
Email info@GeminiUniversal.com if you have comments or a story you would like me to share. I currently write as NJ Animal Rescue Examiner, National Cats Examiner, National Pet Health Examiner, and National General Pets Examiner. Follow me on Twitter and visit us on Facebook for news and updates.