Skip to main content
  1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Music

EDC raver's death ruled an accidental overdose

See also

The Clark County Coroner's Office in Las Vegas, Nevada announced yesterday that the June 21 death of Montgomery Tsang at the 2014 Electric Daisy Carnival was an overdose. The cause of death was MDMA (Ecstasy) toxicity, which has the nasty side effect of an enlarged heart. The San Leandro, Calif. man collapsed on the first night of the festival in a parking lot where he was found non-responsive by other attendees.

Two additional deaths related to the weekend rave are still under investigation by the Clark County Coroner. Anthony Anaya, 25, of Everett, Wash., was found unresponsive in a local hotel after the first evening, and died after being transported to the hospital. Joey Sayachak, 21, of Fresno, Calif., was found unresponsive in a local residence June 21. He died 4 days later in a local hospital. He intended to go to EDC, but never made it.

When attending multi-day parties such as EDC and Coachella, this column has emphasized the importance of caution with such festival extra-curricular activities. One of the greatest factors in having a good time is making sure you get enough rest and water. MDMA is associated with dehydration, particularly because of sweating while dancing combined with drinking alcohol. According to Medscape, MDMA also possesses an unpredictable toxicity.

It's also important to know your limits, something that may be difficult to assess with a recreational drug - particularly while still high. Keep it fun and safe out there.