Can you give your metabolism a makeover that boosts fat-burning and weight loss? Yes, says Dr Mehmet Oz. On his Feb. 24 talk show, Dr. Oz unveiled a new detox diet that helps you shed up to 10 pounds and prevent disease in just 10 days.
Dr. Oz explained that his detox diet is based on the research and weight loss program designed by his guest expert, Dr. Mark Hyman, author of "The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast" (click for details).
Dr. Hyman says that benefits of the 10-day detox plan include:
- Lose up to 10 pounds
- Reverse chronic health problems such as joint point and type 2 diabetes
- Alleviate brain fog and allergies
- Prevent conditions such as acne and headaches
- Help autoimmune disease
However, he told Dr. Oz that to succeed with both weight loss and prevention of disease, you will need to eliminate the following foods from your meals and snacks during the 10-day period:
- Processed foods unless it is a canned whole food such as sardines or artichokes with only a few real ingredients such as water or salt
- Any food or drink that contains added sugar (including honey, molasses, agave, maple syrup, organic cane juice or artificial sweeteners), especially any sugar-sweetened beverages or fruit juices
- Anything that contains hydrogenated oils and refined vegetable oils (like corn or soybean oil)
- Any foods with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, additives, coloring, or dyes
- Anything sugar or flour based (cookies, cakes, candies, etc.)
- Grains (rice, oats, quinoa) and all foods made from flours (crackers, pasta, bread, pretzels, etc.)
- Starches (sweet potato, potato, squash, parsnip, beets, etc.)
- Beans and legumes (chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, kidney beans, etc.)
- Dairy (yogurt, sour cream, cheese, milk, etc.)
- Coffee and anything caffeinated (tea, soft drinks, lattes, etc.)
- Alcohol (wine, beer, spirits, etc.)
In addition to the detailed meal plan below, Dr. Hyman recommends taking 2.5 to 5 grams of fiber before every meal to cut cravings and help balance blood sugar. Look for a brand that has PGX on the label, such as Natural Factors PGX Daily Singles (click for details).
What can you eat? Follow the menu plan below. For the complete 10-day detox diet, read "The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast" (click for more information).
Worth noting: The 10-day detox diet is based on Dr. Hyman's "The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now" (click for details). Plus: Get details on his complementary cookbook "The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss" by clicking here.
Breakfast: Dr. Hyman’s Whole Food Protein Shake
This shake features healthy fats and potent antioxidants from the blueberries.
• 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
• 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
• 1/4 lemon with rind (optional)
• 1 tbsp almond butter
• 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
• 1 tbsps chia seeds
• 1 tbsp hemp seeds
• 2 walnuts
• 1/4 avocado
• 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut butter
• 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1/2 cup water
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. If the
shake is too thick, add more water until you reach a thick but drinkable consistency. Makes one shake.
Lunch: Dr. Hyman’s Super Salad Bar
o Choose a green base: arugula, spinach or mixed salad greens
o Choose three vegetables: red, green or orange bell pepper, celery, mushroom, snap peas,
jicama, carrots, radish, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, roasted peppers, artichoke
hearts, parsley, dill, cilantro, mint.
o Choose one healthy fat: 1/4 avocado, 2 tablespoons nuts or seeds (walnuts, almonds,
pumpkin or sunflower seeds), 2 tablespoons olives (Kalamata)
o Choose one serving protein (4 ounces): salmon, sardines or shrimp (wild fresh or canned),
diced chicken or turkey, cubed tofu or tempeh
o Choose your dressing: 2 tablespoons tahini with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil with
lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Dinner: Nourishing Entrees with Aromatic Greens
o Choose a green base: Broccoli, asparagus, arugula, spinach, kale or chard. Steam or lightly
sauté with some garlic and oil.
o Add 4-6 ounces of protein (choose from below)
Chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, scallops, grass-fed meat, canned salmon, sardines or herring, hard boiled
omega-3 eggs, tofu or tempeh.
Snacks: Quick Creamy or Nutty Snacks
o Choose either: Creamy tahini, hummus or tapenade with sliced raw veggies of choice (see
salad bar options for ideas)
o Or: 1/4 cup mixed nuts (raw if possible) like almonds or walnuts.
Unlimited Non-Starchy Vegetables Allowed:
Arugula, artichoke, mushrooms, Swiss chard, asparagus, dandelion greens, mustard greens, tomatoes,
bean sprouts, eggplant, onions, turnip greens, beet greens, endive, parsley, watercress, bell peppers
(yellow, red or green), fennel, radishes, celery, broccoli, garlic, radicchio, chives, Brussels sprouts, ginger
root, snap beans, collard greens, cabbage, green beans, snow peas, jalapeno peppers, cauliflower, hearts
of palm, shallots, kale, summer squash, zucchini, spinach and lettuce
Approved to cook & season meals with:
Coconut oil, olive oil, nut butters, nuts & seeds (hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin & sesame), coconut milk,
unsweetened almond milk, balsamic vinegar & apple cider vinegar, low-sodium vegetable broth, Dijon
mustard, sea salt & black pepper, turmeric, cayenne, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, sage,
oregano, onion powder, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, paprika and parsley