Dr. Oz said you can super-charge your metabolism and enjoy rapid weight loss on the Fast Metabolism Diet. On the Feb. 5 episode of the Dr. Oz Show, he revealed how you can lose up to 20 pounds in 28 days by eating more, not less.
"You can reboot your body so it burns more calories than ever before," he said.
Dr. Oz's guest was celebrity nutritionist Haylie Pomroy, whose clients include Cher, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Downey Jr. and Jennifer Lopez.
Pomroy, author of The Fast Metabolism Diet, said you can rev up your metabolism and accelerate weight loss by switching up your diet every two or three days. This confuses your body so it burns lots of calories.
Dr. Oz said the biggest mistake dieters make is to starve themselves, which only ends up slowing down your metabolism, resulting in minimal weight loss. Haylie outlined The Fast Metabolism Diet principles:
- Eat carbs to reduce stress and calm the adrenal glands.
- Eat proteins to release stored fat.
- Eat good fats to burn fat.
Monday and Tuesday meal plan: Eat one cup of whole grains at every meal like brown rice, oats, or quinoa. Eat two fruits daily, such as mango or pineapple.
Wednesday and Thursday menu: Eat six ounces of protein (such as steak or eggs) with unlimited quantities of vegetables at every meal.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday meal plan: Eat a combination of carbs, healthy fats (like olive oil and avocados) and protein at every meal.
Pomroy shared 200 delicious, metabolism-boosting recipes in her cookbook, The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook: Eat Even More Food and Lose Even More Weight. Check out a sample recipe below:
Strawberry French Toast (Phase 1)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 slice sprouted-grain bread
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Stevia or xylitol
- Whisk together the egg white, vanilla and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Soak the bread well in the mix, coating both sides.
- Heat a nonstick skillet and place the bread onto the hot surface, turning occasionally to toast both sides.
- While it cooks, heat the strawberries in a pan over low heat. When they are halfway softened, add the lemon juice and Stevia or Xylitol and cook until warm. Immediately pour over the French toast and eat!