Dr. Mehmet Oz revealed metabolism boosters to supercharge weight loss on the June 2 episode of the Dr. Oz Show ("Restart Your Body 5 Ways in 5 Days").
Dr. Oz said if you feel exhausted and can't seem to lose weight, you're not alone. But you can restart your body and enjoy weight loss with his five-step diet plan:
1. Meatless Mondays. Dr. Oz said forgoing meat on Mondays is a great way to give your digestive system a break and add more vegetables to your diet. You don't need to give up meat completely, just one day a week.
2. Enjoy "Twos-days." On Tuesdays, eat a snack that combines iron with vitamin C to improve mood and increase energy such as sunflower seeds (high in iron) with chili powder (rich in vitamin C).
3. Wheat-less Wednesdays. Many people are unaware they have gluten sensitivity, so eliminating wheat from your diet one day a week can make a noticeable difference in your energy levels.
Cardiologist Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, said a wheat-free diet promotes weight loss and prevents almost all chronic diseases, including diabetes, high cholesterol, Alzheimer's and cancer.
4. Thirsty Thursdays. Dr. Oz said detoxing your body with pomegranate juice is an excellent way to flush toxins from your system. Pomegranate juice also protects you against free radicals and restores collagen to your skin.
5. Fatty Fridays. Dr. Oz said adding healthy fatty acids like monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) to your diet helps you lose weight, flushes fat from your body, and reduces inflammation. Foods high in MUFAs include avocados, coconut oil, salmon, dark chocolate, and flax seeds.
Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, said a low-carb, high-fat (LCHF) diet such as the ketogenic diet causes rapid weight loss and prevents dementia and Alzheimer's. Dr. Oz, who previously advocated a low-fat diet, is now sold on the weight loss and health benefits of a high-fat, low carb diet. "Science shows us it absolutely works," he said.
The Fast Metabolism Diet Supercharges Weight Loss
Celebrity nutritionist Haylie Pomroy, author of The Fast Metabolism Diet, said you can rev up your metabolism and accelerate weight loss by switching up your diet every two or three days. This confuses your body so it burns a lot more calories. Pomroy's clients include Reese Witherspoon, Robert Downey Jr. and Jennifer Lopez.
Haylie said the biggest mistake dieters make is to starve themselves, which only ends up slowing down your metabolism, resulting in minimal or stalled weight loss. Haylie outlined The Fast Metabolism Diet principles:
- Eat proteins to release stored fat.
- Eat carbs to reduce stress and calm the adrenal glands.
- Eat healthy fats such as olive oil and coconut oil to burn body fat.