Dr. Mehmet Oz discussed diet and workout secrets for achieving permanent weight loss on the March 24 episode of the Dr. Oz Show ("New Food Rules to Achieve Permanent Weight Loss").
Dr. Oz's guest was Dr. Joel Fuhrman, who said chronic dieting is unhealthy. "Dieting is dangerous, because if you regain the weight, that's more dangerous than not having lost it to begin with," said Dr. Fuhrman, author of The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life.
Dr. Fuhrman said repeatedly losing and regaining weight can increase your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and said maintaining a consistent weight is a key to longevity.
Dr. Fuhrman, who previously wrote Eat to Live, said when people regain weight, they tend to put it back on in their stomach area. Visceral, or belly, fat is the most dangerous type of body fat because it dramatically increases your risk of heart attacks.
Dr. Fuhrman, a proponent of vegetarian and vegan diets, offered his tips for permanent weight loss:
1. Eat G-BOMBs. Dr. Oz said if you eat foods from the G-BOMB group (Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds), you can eat as much as you want without counting calories. These foods are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals but low in calories, so it's impossible to get fat eating them.
2. Consume "slow foods" at breakfast. Eating foods that take a while to digest, such as oatmeal, chia seeds and berries, in the morning prevent hunger during the day.
3. Eat a diet rich in phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are chemical compounds found in plants that are rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens, and cauliflower are rich in phytochemicals, which block fat, boost metabolism, and curb disease.
Dr. Oz and Dr. Lori Brightman Spotlight Anti-Aging Wrinkle Creams
On a separate segment, Dr. Oz's guest was cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Lori Brightman, who said there are effective anti-aging wrinkle creams that are like Botox in a bottle:
- GABA creams. These antioxidant-rich creams relax the muscles (similar to how Botox works), giving you smooth, wrinkle-free skin. Dr. Brightman likes Dr. Brandt’s brand.
- Matrixyl and dermaxyl. Matrixyl and dermaxyl boost collagen production and minimize dark spots and fine lines. Dr. Brightman recommends Clarins Instant Smoothing Perfecting Touch.
'Addicted to Sweat' Chair Workout With Madonna's Trainer Nicole Winhoffer
Dr. Oz spoke with celebrity trainer Nicole Winhoffer, a professional dancer who trains pop icon Madonna. Winhoffer said you can get a rigorous workout (while seated!) with these heart-pumping moves from her Addicted to Sweat Chair exercise DVD:
- Swivel hips
- Knee planks.