Dr. George Addison Sherwood had a dental practice in the 1860's and 1870's in Burlington, Wisconsin. He moved his practice to different locations within Burlington. Some of his dental offices were located on the second floor of buildings which is quite interesting because he had one leg amputated after a battle in the Civil War. His office addresses were at 556 N. Pine St and 136 N. Chestnut Street. At one time he was also in the building where Chase Bank is located on Pine Street now. Photos are included with this story of different ads Sherwood placed during that time. They are in the slideshow attached to this article.
Sherwood was born in Morristown, New York on February 11, 1840. A biography in the History of Chicago Vol. 3 says that he came to Chicago with his parents in 1844. His parents moved the family to Naperville, Illinois in 1846 where his father was a physician there. The 1850 census lists George A. Sherwood living with his parents Solomon P. Sherwood and Catherine Sherwood in Naperville, Illinois along with four of his siblings.
In 1851 Sherwood moved to Downer's Grove, Illinois and lived there until 1854. After that he moved to Ottawa, Illinois where he went to school and worked at a machine shop for three years. After he learned his trade he remained there and was in charge of a department with ten employees working under him until 1860. He then left for New Orleans, Louisiana to work. He does not appear to be on any 1860 census records.
When the war broke out George Sherwood left New Orleans. He was said to be on the last boat heading up the river. He ended up in Terre Haute, Indiana. In April, 1861 he enlisted for three years as a private with Co. G in the 14th Indiana Infantry. On July 5th, the regiment left Indianapolis and headed to Western Virginia where they fought under General McClellan.The regiment participated in battles at Rich Mountain, Laurel Hill, Phillipi and Green Briar. At Green Briar Sherwood received a flesh wound. In November they went to the Shenandoah Valley with General Shields. They fought in the Battle at Winchester after which they all marched to Alexandria, Virginia. From there they engaged in the second battle at Bull Run then to South Mountain and on to Antietam.
At Antietam, Sherwood was wounded in the leg. He laid waiting for help on the field for 11 days. There were a large number of wounded to care for after that battle. When help finally arrived they took him to Frederick City, Maryland and then to Convent Hospital. His leg was amputated, and he stayed at the hospital from Sept 28 until December 13th, 1862. His service record also gives Sherwood's date of discharge from the union army as Decemeber 13, 1862. He was moved on a cot to his home. He was in bed for 11 months until he could get up again. He felt he could no longer return to his trade in the machine shops because his strength was gone from him.
George Sherwood decided to be a dentist. The History of Chicago states that Sherwood studied dentistry at Ansora with Dr. J.J. Wilson. On a search for Ansora no such place was located. (Note - A relative wrote in on May 2, 2014 that it was a typo and the town was Aurora, Illinois and J.J. Wilson was also Sherwood's brother-in-law married to George's sister Catherine Sophronia Sherwood.)
There were only two listings for dentists named J.J. Wilson in the entire United States in 1884. They were both in Kentucky. One was located in Frankfort, KY and the other in Belleville. Sherwood went to Chicago after his studies with Dr. Wilson. For one year he worked with Dr. Hoyt and attended Bryant and Stratton's Commercial College at the same time.
In 1866 he opened his own dental office. On November 6, 1867 he married Nora T. Crowley. She was the daughter of some of the first settlers of Chicago.
Nora Crowley was born about 1838 in Illinois. In 1870, the U.S. Census Bureau has records that state that the Sherwoods had their children Joseph D. Griffin age 8 (b. Chicago, Illinois), George Griffin age 4 (b. Illinois), Cammillus age 1 (b. WI) and newborn Millie (b. WI) living with them in Burlington, Wisconsin as well as George's 69 year old mother Catherine Sherwood.
Dr. Sherwood's ad appears on Jan 22, 1868 in the Burlington Standard. His advertisement included in very small print at the very bottom of the ad - "I would be pleased to serve all honorably discharged soldiers and their families at one-half my regular fees. Burlington, Dec 4th, 1867."
The organizing meeting for the Wisconsin State Dental Society was held in Milwaukee at the office of Dr. Henry Faville on September 28, 1870. Sherwood along with fellow dentists Edgar Palmer, D.W. Perkins, J.C. Luke, Arthur Holbrook, E.W. Foster, E.N. Clark, N.H. Drew, Charles C. Chittenden, Albert Soliday, William D. Brown, C.W. Barnes and L.C. Stewart were known as the founding members of the society. The first meeting was held in Madison on January 10, 1871.
Henry L. Devereux, described a visit to Dr. George Sherwoods office in an article titled "Multum in Parvo" which means, much in little. This story was in the January 16, 1873 issue of the Burlington Standard newspaper. He described many instruments having pearl handles with solid gold and a rosewood cabinet to store them lined with silk velvet. Dr. Sherwood told the newspaperman that he bought the instruments at great expense from a place in Philadelphia.
In 1875 George Sherwood was living in Burlington and there were five males and three females in the household. A son named George Sherwood was born to Nora and George Sherwood on March 3, 1877 in Burlington.
By 1880, he had relocated to Chicago and was working as a dentist there. His wife Nora, step sons Joseph and George Griffin as well as sons George and Camillus Sherwood and daughter Maude and infant Mabel lived in his residence with him. It might have been a little confusing at times with three males named George all living under one roof.
In 1900, Sherwood was living in Chicago with Nora, Cammillus Griffin and a daughter named Maude. He was also listed as living in the household of his daughter Mabel Garfield in Los Angeles, CA in the same 1900 census.
Sherwood's wife Nora died on Sept 2, 1909 in Chicago.
On Feb 13, 1915 Dentist George A. Sherwood died in Chicago. He had been living at 3853 Langley Ave., Chicago at the time of his death. He was buried at Forest Home Cemetery in Cook County, Illinois.