A North Carolina witness at Greensboro reported unusual flight behavior of what appeared to be a disc-shaped object about 2 p.m. on February 7, 2014, according to testimony in Case 53957 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witness was traveling north on Piedmont Parkway toward Wendover Avenue when a jet and the unusual object were first seen.
"As I drove north I saw a large passenger jet that had taken off from the Greensboro Airport," the witness stated. "As I watched the jet I saw farther off behind it another flying object. The jet was traveling southwest-ish and climbing. The object behind it was higher and farther away and appeared to be a disc-shaped craft. The disc-shaped craft was traveling due west, flat and level. The jet crossed in front of the disc from my perspective."
The witness described the object's movements.
"The disc was traveling slow, slower than the jet. Part of this has to do with relative distance but, I believe that the disc was, in fact, traveling slower than the jet."
Then the object made a rather unusual maneuver.
"I began to think that the disc was just another jet appearing to be a disk due to distance and angle. Then the disc sped back over the path that it had just come down and at a very high rate of speed and was gone in an instant. When I saw this I was shocked. Even though I had seen it as a disc-shaped object I didn't expect it to actually do anything unexpected and out of character with a normal flight behavior. When I say it went back from the way it came, I mean that it was like a whip action. It was cruising along and then in the blink of an eye went back the direction from which it had come and was gone."
The movement shocked the witness.
"The disc object was quite a bit farther behind the jet, maybe another mile away. It was about the size of an aspirin held at arm's length. If it had not changed directions and sped away so fast I suspect that I would have ignored it."
Greensboro is a city in Guilford County, NC, population 277,080. North Carolina has a UFO Alert Rating of 4 with a higher than average number of recent reports. Virginia was the 12th highest reporting state with 17 reports in January 2014 - while California had 102 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
Recent reports of low flying UFOs from around the country include:
- Phoenix witness asks for help identifying UFOs
- Washington witness reports 'entity' crossing highway
- Witness considering UFOs disguised as jets
- UFO sighting? Don't run away - object may be back
- Traffic brakes for hovering triangle UFO over small New Hampshire town
- Slow moving cigar UFO reported under 500 feet by Missouri witness
- New Jersey witness says Facebook photo captured UFO that hovered over house
- Connecticut witness 'didn't stick around' after encountering triangle UFO
- Witness follows cylinder UFO spotted at tree top level over North Carolina
- Triangle UFO reported low over Ohio field
- Giant silent sphere UFO with lights reported over Georgia town
- Oklahoma witness says object 'size of a van' hovered over her home
- Silent low flying UFO spotted moving over Oregon town
- Triangle UFO reported dipping below tree line in Michigan town
- Low flying orange UFO made U-turn while Arkansas witness watched
- UFO reports wanted: Washington witnesses say disc-shaped craft too big to miss
- Florida photo capture looks like disc UFO
- Low flying orb UFO observed hovering before darting away over California town
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The above quotes were edited for clarity. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or man-made. If North Carolina MUFON investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.