Carrots, as we all know are root vegetables. Preparing a batch of crisp and healthy roasted carrot fries is a great way to introduce these vegetables to your family for a completely different taste and texture. Adding a healthy vegetable as a side dish to dinner will provide the family with potent vitamins and minerals everyone can benefit from.
These types of vegetables cook up well through moist or dry-heat cooking methods. When one is asked to use a moist-heat way to cook up carrots they are usually referring to steaming or boiling. This method brings out the color of the vegetable with a crisp flavor we know and love. On the other hand, when asked to use a dry-heat cooking method, it refers to oven roasting. This process takes a bit longer to cook, will bring out a more complex flavor to the vegetable as well as dull the coloring of the carrots to a deeper hue.
Carrots are a super food that is packed with beta-carotene; a powerful antioxidant as well as a good source of vitamin A. These nutrients are essential for good eye health and when eaten in moderation can also aid in detoxifying the body, lowering cholesterol levels and stabilizing blood sugars.
- 1 pound of fresh carrots, cut into ½ inch sticks
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450’.
- The carrots need to be rinsed in cold water, peeled with the ends cut off before cutting into ½ inch sticks that are about 4-5 inches long.
- Once the carrots are prepared place the carrot sticks on a lightly greased cookie sheet or baking tray. (Cooking spray made from olive oil is ideal to use to prepare the baking pan with.)
- Then drizzle the olive oil over the top of the sliced carrot sticks following by a sprinkling of salt.
- Toss the carrot sticks so that all sides have a light coating of oil and salt.
- Then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are crisp with tender centers.
- Serve while still hot.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.