According to attorney Nicolle Martin, the owners of a Colorado bakery could face a year in prison for refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding, Jim Hoft reported at the Gateway Pundit Monday.
“The complainants can sue him civilly in the regular courts system or he can potentially be prosecuted by the district attorney for up to twelve months in jail,” Martin told Hoft.
In June, the Advocate said the Colorado Attorney General’s office filed a discrimination complaint against the owners of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Denver after the bakers refused to bake a cake for Dave Mullins and Charlie Craig, a Denver area gay couple, last year.
“We would close down the bakery before we compromised our beliefs,” he told KCNC, adding that protests and petitions will not make him change his mind.
The Advocate said the company also refused to cater to a lesbian couple who wanted cupcakes for their ceremony.
"Mark Silverstein, legal director for the Colorado chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, which initiated the complaint process for Mullins and Craig, told the AP he respects the bakery owners’ right to their religious beliefs, 'but someone’s personal religious beliefs don’t justify breaking the law by discriminating against others in the public sphere,'” the Advocate reported.
But Martin disagreed, saying the case is about “conscience,” not “commerce.”
“I just don’t think that we should heighten one person’s beliefs over and above another person’s beliefs,” she said.
The Advocate said the Colorado Civil Rights Commission is set to hear the case in September.
- Colorado baker target of gay protest for not baking wedding cake
- Oregon bakery target of threats, 'terrorism' for refusal to serve gay wedding
- Report: Man arrested for assaulting street preacher at gay event has long record
- Report: DOJ requires employees to verbally affirm homosexuality
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Conservative teen gets death threats after posting anti-gay marriage video
- Gay sex columnist to Bill Maher: I wish all Republicans were f-----g dead
- Gay activist curses, bashes Bible, Christians, GOP in speech to high school kids
- Liberals accuse Kirk Cameron of hate speech for expressing Christian beliefs
- Report: Army officer labels Christian organizations as 'hate groups' in email
- Lesbian activist: Gay marriage fight a 'lie' to destroy traditional marriage
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, PolitiCollision, Liberty Unyielding and Spokane FAVS.