Psychic debris builds-up everywhere and obstructs free-flowing positive energy. It develops over time and lingers like dust bunnies. It is caused by the constant moving around of energy that goes on day-by-day as we live, interact with others and constantly process thoughts and emotions. Left unattended, this energetic dust and dirt can prevent or slow healing and impede good mental health. Just as you must vacuum, sweep and wipe to clean your walls, furniture and floors, you must also perform periodic 'sweeps' to clear away negative energy and psychic debris. Some signs of cluttered and dirty energy in your space are:
- problems sleeping or persistent nightmares
- slow or no life progression
- unexplained feelings of anxiety, anger, fear, stress, grief or depression
- stubborn illnesses and physical problems
- feeling stuck and unable to make decisions or move forward in life
- sudden loss of interest in activities that usually ignite passion and joy (sex, hobby, work-related)
In her book Magical Housekeeping, Tess Whitehurst offers advice for creating and preserving a harmonious living and/or work space. In the chapter Sacred Smoke & Aromas of Power, she discusses the use of essential oils, incense, aromatherapy mists, candles and smudge sticks for clearing away unwanted energy and psychic debris. The results are always clear, pristine and powerful. This book is a robust reference filled with "Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home." Here are some space clearing suggestions from Magical Housekeeping and other sources:
- Burn white sage to raise the vibration of dense energies, absorb negativity, drive out disturbances and protect your sacred space.
- Burning a rosemary smudge stick cleans, protects, purifies and heals. This is especially useful in areas where healing work is performed.
- Add peppermint essential oil to your cleaning bucket, add water and a bit of castile soap. Use it to clean furniture, floorboards and walls. This will remove evil and negative energy.
- Tess Whitehurst writes, "while white sage purifies by lifting vibrations and dissolving negativity, desert sage moves the vibrations around in a happy way so that bad vibes just naturally don't feel like hanging out."
Space Clearing Ritual
Clear each room in the building or space, one at a time. Starting from the center of the room, use a feather, handheld fan or your cupped hands to move smoke outward toward the outer edges of the room. Make a spiral pattern with the smoke and affirm your intent, "this space is pure and free from negativities. It is safe from all harm." Fill the room with smoke and visualize negative energy moving out of the space as if being sucked by a vacuum. When you're done in one room, close the door as you leave and move on to the next. When you have treated all rooms, give thanks to the guides and spirits that assisted in the clearing of psychic debris. Wait several minutes and, starting with the first room, open the doors and windows to allow the loosened negative energy to dissipate and leave the space.
You can find smudge sticks at some natural food stores. If you're nearby, pick some up at Sika, 4330 Degnan Blvd., in the Historic Leimert Park Village area of Los Angeles. Call for hours of operation: (323) 295-2502.
When shopping for essential oils, choose a line that is Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG). The vibrations are higher and they are more effective for performing energy work. Look for quality essential oils at:
- Whole Foods, 2201 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90403
- Persephenie Studio, 304 S. Edinburgh Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90048