Each year, people around the world take part in an annual celebration that honors Mexican culture, tradition and heritage with colorful parades, festive festivals, traditional dancing and Mariachi bands. Delicious food and refreshing drinks are also a big part of the celebration! May 5 is Cinco de Mayo, an annual event that commemorates the Mexican’s military victory over France at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Despite the fact the Mexican Army was outnumbered by the French, Mexico won the battle.
Whether you plan to attend a big bash or a small, intimate gathering, celebrate Cinco de Mayo in high style this year. In honor of the occasion, why not whip up one or two of the delicious cocktail recipes listed below?
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails, Margaritas & Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- Jose Cuervo Tequila Sunrise Drink – You’ll need orange juice, cranberry juice and Jose Cuervo Especial for this drink.
- Drinko de Cinco Shot – You’ll need tequila, lime juice, agave nectar and oregano and jalapeno for this drink.
- Chavela - This Mexican beer with tomato juice calls for tomato juice, hot sauce, Mexican beer, kosher salt, a lemon wedge and tequila.
- Tequila Old-Fashioned – You’ll need agave nectar, blood orange, reposado tequila and bitters for this one.
- Cilantro Cooler – This green drink calls for cilantro leaves, cucumber, vodka, simple syrup, club soda, vodka and ice.
- Cuervo Especial Pomegranate Martini – This pretty-in-pink drink calls for Cuervo Especial Gold, Jose Cuervo Lime Margarita Mix, pomegranate juice, a lime wheel and salt.
- El Gusano Rojo – You’ll need passion fruit nectar, ginger beer, grenadine and mescal for this one from the folks at Food and Wine.
- Grapefruit Agua Fresca – You’ll need blanco tequila, Cocchi Americana Rosa, Ruby Red grapefruit juice, honey, ice and a fresh mint sprig.
- La Paloma Suprema – This drink includes tequila, grapefruit soda and a lime wedge.
- Naked & Famous – ‘Nuff said!
- Aphrodisiac Margarita – Again - ‘Nuff said!
- Prickly Pear Margarita – This margarita calls for tequila-infused prickly pear, prickly pear-infused tequila, frozen limeade and Cointreau.
- Watermelon Margarita – Talk about refreshing! This cocktail calls for tequila, lime juice, agave syrup and a slice of watermelon. Mmm..
- Frozen Lemon Berry Margaritas – You’ll need sugar, tequila, frozen blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, coarse sugar, lemonade concentrate and lime wedges.
- Jalapeño Margarita – Kick it up a notch with this margarita drink that calls for jalapeno peppers.
- Mango-Guava Batidos – You’ll need guava nectar, milk, vanilla, sugar, frozen mango chunks for this alcohol-free beverage.
- Refreshing Lime Slush - This ice-cold non-alcoholic drink calls for lemon-lime soda, sugar, limeade concentrate and lime slices.
- Lime-Shaped Margarita Gelatin Shots – Fair warning – you better make an extra big batch of these – they are guaranteed to be great big hits!
The beverage listed below are the creations of Tequila expert and Milagro Brand Ambassador, Jaime Salas, who grew up part-time in Mexico’s tequila producing region of Jalisco. Milagro Tequila, one of the world’s leading tequila brands, combines traditional, old-world techniques with modern technologies resulting in a deliciously refreshing drink.
- 1 ½ parts Milagro Silver Tequila
- ¾ parts Ancho Reyes
- 1 part Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ part Agave Nectar
- Using a lime wedge, wet the rim of an old fashioned glass, salt it, and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice, shake, and double strain over fresh ice into the glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Milagro Ancho Paloma
- 1 ½ parts Milagro Reposado
- ½ part Ancho Reyes
- ½ part Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 parts Grapefruit Soda
- Using a lime wedge, wet the rim of the glass and salt half of the rim.
- Add ice, Ancho Reyes, and grapefruit soda.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime and discard.
- Garnish with a thin grapefruit wheel.
And for even more refreshing drinks, check out 20 Cocktail Recipes Perfect for Cinco De Mayo Celebrations. Cheers!