If you're hoping to do some last minute Christmas shopping at Walmart and Kmart, you better get moving. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day store hours vary, with many closing early Tuesday, Dec. 24, some stores closing late, others staying open 24-hours nonstop, and some not opening at all on Wednesday, Dec. 25. Orlando Sentinel reported on Tuesday, Dec. 24, that Christmas Eve is the big shopping day of the year for perpetual procrastinators, a much better day for Christmas shopping than on Black Friday.
One last minute shopper told Orlando Sentinel reporters, "there are pretty big savings during the last day, some as much as 70 percent off. 6:30 p.m, we'll be running in the door."
If you plan it right, especially if you live on the west coast, you could wait and hit the stores that stay open the latest just before going home. Walmart is open until 8 p.m. Toys 'R Us stays open until 9 p.m. Kmart and Target closes at 10 p.m., according to International Business Times on Monday, Dec. 23.
When all else fails and you're running late, you can always buy store and restaurant gift cards at Walgreen's, CVS, Rite Aid and many other convenience stores and pharmacies at the last minute. Gift certificates and gift cards can be purchased online on Christmas Day says Forbes, and printed off from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and many other stores.
December 24, 2013 Christmas Eve Store Shopping Hours: Opening and Closing Times
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Best Buy: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- BJ's Wholesale: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Dick's Sporting Goods: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Dollar General: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- GameStop: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- The Gap: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Home Depot: 6 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- JC Penny: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Kmart: 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Kohl's: 12 Midnight - 6 p.m.
- Macy's: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Marshalls: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Michaels: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Old Navy: 7 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Sears: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Staples: Regular opening time - 7 p.m.
- Target: 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Toys 'R Us: 12 Midnight - 9 p.m.
- Walmart: Regular opening time - 8 p.m. (including 24-hour Walmart Superstores)
December 25, 2013 Christmas Day Store Hours
- 7-Eleven: Most stores are 24-hour locations
- AMC Movie Theaters
- Cumberland Farms: 24-hour locations open regular hours
- CVS: Many locations will open on Christmas Day, some are open 24 hours
- Denny’s: Denny's will be open nationwide on Christmas Day
- Family Dollar
- IHOP: Many locations will open on Christmas Day
- McDonald’s: Many locations will open on Christmas Day
- Starbucks: Many stores are open Christmas Day
- Walgreens: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Stores Closed Christmas Day, December 25
- Best Buy: Closed
- Home Depot: Closed
- IKEA: Closed
- Kmart: Closed
- Kohl's: Closed
- Lowe's: Closed
- Macy's: Closed
- Marshalls: Closed
- Michaels: Closed
- Old Navy: Closed
- Sears: Closed
- Target: Closed
- Toys-R-Us and Babies-R-Us: Closed
- Walmart: Closed
Christmas Post Office and Bank Closures
Wondering if the post office is delivering mail Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, or even Christmas Day? Read the article Christmas 2013 USPS post office holiday: Mail delivery Christmas Eve and 12/25 for more details. Are banks open late on Christmas Eve? Read the article Christmas Eve Day 2013 closings: Are banks, DMV, post office, Walmart open? for more information.
Sources: International Business Times: Orlando Sentinel
Photo Credit: Christmas Eve Day Store Hours and Closings; Toys-R-Us, Wikimedia Commons