A Brain-eating warning was issued in Florida after a young boy was stricken. Zachary Reyna, 12, is fighting for his life in LaBelle, Fla. According to United Press International on August 16, 2013, Reyna is being treated with the same anti-amoeba drug as Kali Harding was in Arkansas.
The Florida Department of Health warned people against warm, shallow waters after Zachary Reyna contracted primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, caused by the rare single-celled parasite Naegleria fowleri, while playing in a ditch.
The brain-eating warning was issued after Zac was taken to Miami Children's Hospital over the weekend with flu-like symptoms. He was diagnosed with primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released the same anti-amoeba drug used to treat Kali as mentioned in this article, "Parasitic meningitis: New confirmed case in Arkansas." Doctors were amazed with the results and hope to treat Zac in the same manner.
This brain-eating warning for PAM comes from the prevalence of warm shallow water in southern states like Florida and Arkansas in the summer. PAM is usually fatal, so it is a miracle that the CDC is willing to allow the use of an experimental drug that has already been found to be effective.
Update: Please help Zac Reyna. His family is raising funds to help out with the costs of his stay at Miami Children's Hospital. https://www.facebook.com/pray4number4
What do you think about the Brain-eating warning story? Please drop in your comments below.
For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please subscribe at the bottom of the page and join my group on Facebook, Top Trending News.
Recent articles from this Examiner (click on the link to read):