A bodyweight workout is where you do weight bearing exercises with only the use of your own body weight for the resistance for your workout. You don’t need to have any equipment to get a good muscle building workout.
That being said, what are the reasons you would want to do a bodyweight workout, instead of using dumbbells or barbells? There are several reasons, the 3 most likely reasons you would do a bodyweight workout is:
1. You don’t have the equipment.
2. You don’t have time or can’t afford a gym membership.
3. You need a quick workout to keep your muscles toned
For a full overall workout, do this workout 3 days per week with a day off between, and do some form of cardio workout 3 days per week between the resistance workout.
There are 6 major muscle area to work on, this workout will give you a good quick workout that will hit all 6 areas.
The workout consists of 8 exercises. Go through all 8, rest for 1 min, then do a 2nd cycle through the exercises, rest 1 min. and do it again for 3 cycles.
1. Do 1 min. of jumping jacks to warm all your muscles up.
2. Pushups Do 15 reps, or as many as you can. Go slow, 2 sec. down and 2 sec. up. Keep your back straight and your core muscles tight through all reps.
3. Squats. 15 reps. Keep your back straight and go down to thighs parallel to the floor and back up.
4. Bench or chair dips. 15 reps. Go slow. Easy with feet on floor. harder with feet elevated.
5. Pull ups. 5 reps. If you don’t have a pullup bar, you can use 2 chairs and a heavy wood handle, like a shovel handle. If you use chairs, do inverted rows, overhand grip for back.
6. Chin ups. 5 reps. Do underhand for biceps. If you use chairs, do the same inverted rows with an underhand grip.
7. Planks 1 min. can do on hands or elbows, keep the core tight as you can.
8. Calf raises 15 reps
If starting out you can only do some of the reps, thats ok. If you can only do 1 cycle at first, thats ok also. Do what you can to start out, you will be surprised at how fast you can do more, and soon you will be able to do all the reps for all 3 cycles. Just start.