The unique 2 CD collection of rarities titled “Side Tracks” that will be included in the massive upcoming box set, “The Complete Bob Dylan, Vol. One,” is to be released separately as a 3-LP set for this November’s Record Store Day, according to an inside source.
This individually numbered set will be one of many limited edition releases made exclusively for Record Store Day, a celebration of independent record stores. This year, RSD falls on “Black Friday,” November 29. The “Complete” CD box set is scheduled to be released on November 5.
“The Complete Bob Dylan, Vol. One“ is a collection of all "regular" Bob Dylan live and studio albums. "Side Tracks” is an extensive, but incomplete, anthology of tracks not included on any of these releases. This set collects all 21 rarities included on the original version of the 1985 set, “Biograph,” six from the 1971 double album, “Greatest Hits, Volume II,” and four other miscellaneous tracks, most notably the acoustic version of “George Jackson.”
The RSD version of "Side Tracks" with be pressed on three 180 gram LPs. The material is arranged chronologically.
Below is the track list.
- Baby, I’m in the Mood for You *
- Mixed-Up Confusion (45) *
- Tomorrow Is a Long Time (live) **
- Lay Down Your Weary Tune *
- Percy’s Song *
- I’ll Keep It With Mine *
- Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? (45) *
- Positively 4th Street (45) *
- Jet Pilot *
- I Wanna Be Your Lover *
- I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (live) *
- Visions of Johanna (live) *
- Quinn the Eskimo (1967) *
- Watching the River Flow (45) **
- When I Paint My Masterpiece **
- Down in the Flood (1971) **
- I Shall Be Released (1971) **
- You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (1971) **
- George Jackson (45 acoustic version)
- Forever Young (demo) *
- You’re a Big Girl Now (alternate)*
- Up to Me *
- Abandoned Love *
- Isis (live) *
- Romance in Durango (live) *
- Caribbean Wind *
- Heart of Mine (live) *
- Series of Dreams
- Things Have Changed
* From “Biograph.” ** From “Greatest Hits, Volume II.”
Of course, during his 50-plus year career, Dylan has released many more rarities that could have been included here. Hopefully, a similar release will rectify this on “The Complete Bob Dylan, Vol. Two,” based around “The Bootleg Series,” which is expected to be released next year.
In other news, Bob Dylan began is autumn tour of Europe earlier today, at the Spektrum in Oslo, Norway.
Keep up with Bob Dylan Examiner news. Just click on Subscribe above, or follow @DylanExaminer on Twitter. Harold Lepidus also writes the Performing Arts column for Examiner.com. Thanks for your support.