Responding to a Democratic proposal giving gun owners in Missouri 90 days to turn in rifles, pistols and shotguns deemed to be "assault weapons," state Rep. Mike Leara (R-St. Louis) introduced a measure on Monday that would make it a felony to propose legislation that further erodes the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
The bill, known as HB 633, was read for the second time on Tuesday.
"Any member of the general assembly who proposes a piece of legislation that further restricts the right of an individual to bear arms, as set forth under the second amendment of the Constitution of the United States, shall be guilty of a class D felony," the bill says.
A Class D felony in Missouri carries a prison sentence of not more than four years.
"Leara told TheBlaze on Tuesday that he is under no illusion that the bill will pass. He says he introduced the legislation to make a point after Democrats proposed an alarming gun confiscation bill last week," Jason Howerton wrote.
“It’s outrageous,” Leara said of the Democratic proposal. “I have received an overwhelming response of about 100 to 1 to stop this legislation.”
“I filed HB 633 as a matter of principle and as a statement in defense of the Second Amendment rights of all Missourians. I have no illusions about the bill making it through the legislative process, but I want it to be clear that the Missouri House will stand in defense of the people’s constitutional right to keep and bear arms,” he added.
The Democratic proposal, if passed into law, would give owners of "assault weapons" 90 days to either ship the weapons out of the state, render them inoperable or surrender them to authorities. Those who fail to do so could be sent to prison for a period of seven years.
Legislation mirroring the Missouri bill was proposed in Minnesota.
According to Leara, Democratic Rep. Rory Ellinger, the primary sponsor of the gun confiscation bill, calls himself a constitutional lawyer.
- Washington gun control proposal said to violate Fourth Amendment to Constitution
- Annual inspection requirement axed from Washington gun control proposal
- Mexico to ask for registry of guns in border states, national media silent
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Missouri Democrats propose law giving gun owners 90 days to turn in weapons
- Minnesota Democrats pushing gun confiscation bill similar to Missouri's
- Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition
- Arkansas governor signs law allowing concealed guns in churches
- Iowa Democrat: Ban and confiscate semi-automatic guns
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
- Gun rights advocate: Obama said people shouldn't be able to own guns
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.