Surprise your friends and family with this sweet treat for April Fool’s Day from Zulka Pure Cane Sugar.
For the Pound Cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Zulka Morena Sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups Zulka powdered sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract or juice
- 2-5 drops natural orange dye
· Preheat oven to 3250 F. Butter and flour a standard loaf pan.
· In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and orange zest until fluffy. Add the eggs in 3 parts, combining well after each addition. In a separate small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture until just combined. Add the sour cream and orange juice and mix well.
· Pour into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top, and bake for 1 hour or longer, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. If the top starts to brown too much before the cake is done, tent with a piece of foil.
· Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
· Mix the frosting ingredients together until well combined. Add more dye if desired to reach desired color.
· To assemble: Slice the pound cake into 1/2 inch slices. Spread a small amount of butter on one side and grill on a griddle or skillet until toasted looking, being careful not to burn. Let cool completely. Repeat with remaining slices. Once all are cool, cut them each in half to make the two halves of each “sandwich”. Spread about a tablespoon of frosting on a non-toasted side of the cake, spreading some to the edges to make it look like melted cheese, and then top with the other half. Repeat with remaining slices. Happy Fooling!
· Try serving it with our Strawberry Soup recipe!
For the Soup:
- 2 lbs strawberries, stems removed and hulled
- 2/3 cup Zulka Morena Sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp Heavy cream
- Fresh basil leaves
· Dice the strawberries, sprinkle the sugar over the top and let sit for 15 minutes. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Let chill completely.
· Once chilled, divide amongst 6 bowls and drizzle a little heavy cream over the top and garnish with basil leaves.
· Try it with our Orange Pound Cake recipe!