What happens when you make a pizza crust without any preservatives and all natural ingredients? What happens when you top that pizza with nothing but pure flavor and then top that flavor with some smoked bacon? What happens is, you don't get that poison pizza crap you're used to eating, which is dripping with grease and slathered with tomato stuff which has been sitting in a can since Christ was a teenager. You get a pizza worth eating!
First of all, we had to create a new pizza dough specifically for a thin crust pizza. It had to be fresh and tasty 'cuz that's how we rock in the Southwest.
Then we needed to come up with a topping that doesn't look like a rabid dog tossed his Alpo on it. Of course the topping had to have a classy texture, a marriage of tastes and it had to make lips smack. We accomplished this by simply dousing the crust with pure olive oil and then slamming it with some freshly chopped garlic. On top of that we layered some finely grated Asiago and Parmesan cheese. But wait, we weren't done. To top this bad boy off, a lot, A LOT, of smoked bacon.
This is the Asiago, Parmesan and Bacon pizza. It's different. It's not boring!
Ingredients needed to make the Asiago, Parmesan and Bacon Pizza (makes one large pizza):
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- Put everything into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead 5 minutes. If you do this in a machine, your dough will suck -- DON'T DO IT!
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Yes, put your fist into it!
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and shape it into a pizza dough. Place the dough onto a pizza pan or a pizza stone.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups finely grated Asiago cheese
- 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped bacon, uncooked
- Pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees.
- Rub the olive oil all over the pizza dough.
- Spread the garlic over the pizza.
- Pile on both cheeses.
- Place the bacon all over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove, slice and enjoy!
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."