Feel like you are running out of space in your home? The accumulation of furniture and décor, new bundles of joy in the family, sharing space with other family members, and the popularity of working from home are all common reasons your home might feel cramped. Before you call a realtor, however, consider adding more space to the house you already own with a room addition. You can save money and the headaches that come with moving by carefully reconsidering what you can accomplish with your current property.
Here are five good reasons for a room addition:
1. It’s less expensive than moving. If you have decided to work from home or are welcoming a new member to your family, don’t automatically pack your bags. The cost of buying a bigger home is often higher than adding on to the one you already have.
2. Stability. Space is just part of the reason you decide on a particular home. The community you choose is often just as important as the square footage. Particularly if you have children at home, it is smarter to stay in one place if you can help it than to pack up your entire life and move to a new neighborhood. A room addition makes staying put possible.
3. Added value to home. The National Association of Realtors reports that every 1,000 square feet added to your home adds around 3 percent to its value. When you choose to sell your home down the road, you will be able to ask for a higher price. Deciding on an addition is a smart way to pay yourself back on your investment and make your home more spacious while you live in it.
4. Less wait time. In general, a room addition takes less time than buying a new home and moving. Design time to completion can take as little as six weeks—depending on the scope of your addition. With a room addition, you can expand to your new space within a few months and have no moving hassle.
Vision fulfillment. When you decide on a room addition, you get to choose exactly how to design it. You can pick the size, style, window placement, and all other design/architecture elements to make it the exact room you envision. When you move into a bigger home, those factors are already determined for you. Designing your own space in the home you already love is a fun experience that ensures you get exactly what you want.
5. A room addition is a smart way to make your home exactly the way you want it while staying in one place. The increase in space will help in practical ways and your home will also increase in value. Whether you’ll be using it as an office, library, art studio, or bedroom, you’ll have a new functional space that’s always there when you need it.