Healthy skin starts from within, that's why it's important to incorporate foods high in micronutrients needed for optimal epidermal health. With the availability of so many processed and convenience foods out there, it's easy to miss the essential vitamins and minerals your skin needs to stay healthy and maintain that beautiful glow. Load up on these top five foods throughout your day and you'll be on your way to brighter, glowing skin in no time.
1) Dino Kale. Greens like kale aren't just tasty, they're also full of vitamins and minerals your skin needs to stay healthy. With essential nutrients like vitamin K, A, C, B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium, it's easy to see why this superfood is considered nature's multi-vitamin. Aiming for four cups of dark, leafy greens like kale everyday is a great way to start seeing healthy changes in your complexion.
2) Pineapple. While added, processed sugar causes glycation and accelerated aging, whole fruit like pineapple is fantastic for your skin. This fruit favorite is full of fiber which stabilizes blood sugar and contributes to healthy digestion - and good digestion means beautiful, glowing skin. Pineapple is also naturally high in vitamin C which brightens skin tone, increases healing time, and reduces redness. The best time to eat fruit is in the morning or on an empty stomach. Avoid eating fruit directly after a meal as it can be held back, causing bloating and stomach cramps.
3) Quinoa. This delicious grain is gluten-free, fiber-rich, and full of protein. Skin proteins like collagen and elastin keep our skin plump and youthful, so getting a good dose of this macronutrient is essential to firming up your new, glowy complexion. Quinoa is also a good source of magnesium, which is a vital component in hundreds of biochemical reactions in the body. Low intake of this element has been associated with skin disease and disorder, so feel good about serving up this hearty grain.
4) Walnuts. Raw forms of these nuts are extremely high in omega 3. Only half a cup delivers 94.5% of your daily value. Omega 3s contribute to healthy oil production meaning a smooth complexion, less breakouts, and vibrant skin. These healthy fats are also highly anti-inflammatory, meaning a reduction in redness and younger-looking skin.
5) Avocado. This healthy-fat food is considered nature's moisturizer for good reason. Rich in antioxidant carenoids, this green goddess will get you glowing faster than you can say "guacamole". Avocado is also high in vitamin K, the most essential nutrient to combating dark under-eye circles. So say goodbye to that tired look and hello to your new, vibrant complexion.
Enjoy these foods and many other fresh fruits, greens, and veggies to give your skin an impressive an noticeable glow!