Prom is a climactic night in a teen's life and in many communities, a fancy evening filled with expensive dinners, pre and post parties and limousine transportation that rivals sophisticated adult social events.
To ensure that you put your best face forward on this historic night, take note of the following basic beauty tips that address top prom questions and concerns.
Prep skin for lasting makeup application: Proper cleansing and priming of the skin are crucial to a long-lasting makeup application. Be sure to properly cleanse and moisturize your skin and apply a silicone based primer that minimizes the appearance of imperfections and blemishes on the skin. If possible, begin a thorough cleansing routine a month before prom that includes a chemical (not physical) exfoliation to remove dead skin and promote radiant, healthy looking skin.
- Dermalogica Precleanse – editor favorite
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
Moisturizers: Dermalogica Active Moisture
Pick one feature to accentuate:
Eyes are the most requested feature to accentuate during a makeup application but contrary to popular belief, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to use eye shadow to make eyes the focal point.
Properly trained makeup artist are thoroughly versed in color theory and can recommend lip shades that will compliment your eyes in lieu of complimentary eye shadows. Given that bright, floral-inspired lips are on trend for Spring/Summer 2013, having a “pop” of color on the lips has been one of the most requested makeup looks this season. If you choose this route, be sure to purchase your chosen lip color from your makeup artist so that you can reapply for photos throughout the evening. Layering lip color will also aid in creating a “stain-like” application that will last longer between applications.
- Magenta – Recommended lip shade: Over the Top Lip Colour by Mirabella Beauty
- Fushia – Recommended lip shade: Downtown Diva Lip Colour Beauty
- Poppy – Recommended lip shade: Moi! Lip Colour by Mirabella Beauty or Raven by Hourglass Cosmetics
- Orange – Recommended lilp shade: Coy Lip Lustre Liner or Pixie Colour Sheer by Mirabella Beauty
Play up youthful, dewy skin:
Luminous skin is a trend that remains strong and is a natural characteristic of young, healthy skin. Avoid wearing heavy foundation and opt for a light-weight foundation that evens skin tone and allows skin's natural radiance to shine through.
Teens that suffer from acne typically attempt to “hide” blemishes by loading up on concealer and foundation which makes skin imperfections more visible. Using a silicone based primer that blurs imperfections and creates a soft focus finish with minimize the shadow that is cast on the skin by raised blemishes. If blemish is red and inflamed use a green-tinted concealer or apply a drop of Visine to blemish to minimize redness.
Resist the urge to apply, apply and reapply your powder:
A top concern for teens is oily skin/t-zone shine. Instead of reapplying powder throughout the evening which can make the face look mask-like and “cakey”, carry blotting papers in your purse and prep skin with a primer that controls oil and shine such as Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer which is a must have item for celebrities during red carpet events.
SpaDelic’s Prom Check list:
Week before Prom:
Double check all details to eliminate last minute stress:
- Hair and Makeup Appointments
- Dinner reservations
- Transportation Reservations
- Ticket purchase
- Pre-Prom photo party
1 Day before Prom:
- Hydrate well and avoid salty foods that can cause bloating
- Groom brows
- Shave/wax legs and underarms
- Get a manicure & pedicure
- Get a decent night’s sleep so your will look refreshed on the big day
The Big Day!
- Eat a healthy lunch and breakfast to keep energy level consistent throughout the evening
- If you will be wearing your hair up, skip shampooing to ensure hair pins grip to hair to allow style to last through the evening
- Pick up boutonniere/corsage and refrigerate to prevent wilting
- Start getting ready an hour before you usually would to avoid stress and enjoy preparations for your big night
- Pack a small clutch with necessities only such as: Prom tickets, Blotting papers, iPhone/smart phone with camera (made sure you have an “ICE” entry in your phone which stands for “In Case of Emergency”. This is typically the contact phone number for parent or guardian), Lipstick/gloss, Cash or debit card in case of emergencies