The blizzard Nemo took the life of an 11-year-old boy, according to a Feb. 9 Today News Gazette report. The 11-year-old boy from Boston died from carbon monoxide poisoning after Nemo dumped several feet of snow on Boston. His father suffered a heart attack during the incident.
Apparently, the boy and his dad were shoveling snow after the blizzard. The 11-year-old got inside his family's car to warm up for a bit around 11:30 a.m. Unfortunately, the car's exhaust was blocked by the snow, and the carbon monoxide killed him. What a horrible accident.
Boston fire spokesperson Stephen MacDonald said,
"The boy was getting cold, so they cleared out the passenger side and the boy got inside to get warm."
Neighbors were able to use CPR to revive the 11-year-old boy briefly, but ultimately he died. Also, during the snow shoveling, the boy's dad suffered a heart attack. He is being treated at Boston Medical Center.
Obviously this tragic incident points to the need for extreme care when digging out from Nemo. First of all, do not set in idling cars that have exhausts blocked by snow. The car's exhaust must be completely clear. Second, when shoveling snow be careful. Listen to your body and do not overdo it. It is easy to overwork yourself shoveling snow.