Fall is a great season for doing crafts with kids, and there are some really great green crafts you can do with them.
Here's a round-up of ten really fabulous crafts that use natural materials and green thinking to make them even better.
- Cranberry Play Dough: Little Wonders' Days shows how to use cooking water from cranberries to make a beautiful pink dough!
- More Naturally Colored Play Doughs: I featured a huge list of other materials you can use to make other colors of homemade play dough, with everything from crab apples to turmeric to walnut bark here.
- Pumpkin Art: Even Halloween is over, the family jack-o-lantern doesn't have to end up in the compost pile just yet. Turn it around and make it a canvas for some really wonderful (and fun) art. Give the kids some nails or golf tees and let them use flowers, fall leaves and other garden elements to decorate the pumpkin. They can pound with hammers, mallets or rocks, and younger children can use clothespins to hold the nails in place to protect their fingers.
- Autumn Woven Tree: Family Fun has the simple instructions on how to use a thin branch, some yarn and scraps of fabric to make this sweet autumn decoration.
- Paper Mache Birds: That Artist Woman shows how to use newspaper, glue and some simple art materials to make truly beautiful little birds.
- Mini Notebooks: This simple craft uses cereal or cracker boxes for the covers of these sweet little notebooks that will help encourage kids to write. Head over to Family Economics for the instructions.
- Avocado Pit Pendants: Here's an easy craft that I featured a few years ago here. Save your avocado pits, slice them and carve them into natural pendants.
- Leaf Crowns: It's the perfect time of year for this simple kids' craft, and this is a great way to make use of the beautiful leaves you can find now. Twig and Toadstool has instructions for how to make these whimsical headpieces with just leaves.
- Upcycled Hats: If you're good with a sewing machine (or want to teach your kids to sew with a fun project), you should definitely check out these quirky upcycled hats from I Am Momma Hear Me Roar. What a fun way to protect your kiddos from the cold!
- Dragon Twigs: Kids can easily make these delightful little dragonflies from maple seeds, twigs, a bit of glue and paint. Parents has the easy instructions.
Want to stay in the loop? Be sure to subscribe to my column to be updated when I post articles. You can also find me on Pinterest and on examiner.com on the topics of homeschooling, attachment parenting and my national attachment parenting column, and on Facebook at All Natural Families and A Magical Homeschool.