Our Phoenix Healthy Food Examiner contributor for this month’s topic in April is Madeleine H. of California.
Discover a whole new way to enjoy sweet delicious recipes that are guilt-free with Zulka Pure Cane Sugar. Zulka Pure Cane Sugar is produced in Mexico and manufacturing operations already expanded to Southern Arizona (Source: Rico Gabriela, 2012, Arizona Daily Star).
The American Diabetes Association researched the health benefits of unrefined organic sugar for diabetic patients. Due to the fact that the carbohydrate count is lower in unrefined sugar, the body processes it slower. Therefore, blood sugar glucose levels remain steady (Source: American Diabetes Association).
Individuals who are not diabetic will benefit from including Zulka Pure Cane Sugar into their diet too. Studies have shown that white refined sugar may be a primary contributor to overall weight gain. Use Zulka Pure Cane Sugar when baking, cooking, and to naturally sweeten hot or cold beverages.
Featured recipe courtesy of Zulka Pure Cane Sugar:
Lemon Glazed Blueberry Cake
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup butter, very soft
1 cup Zulka Morena sugar
Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 2 Tbsp each)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain yogurt (any style)
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups Zulka Powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
Cake Directions: Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Butter and flour an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl mix together butter, sugar and lemon zest with a wire whisk or an electric mixer.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and then mix in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
5. Fold in the flour until combined.
6. Add yogurt and combine again until no flour streaks remain.
7. Gently fold in the blueberries; pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
8. Bake for 65-80 minutes or until toothpick placed in center of cake comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 min in pan, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
Prepare the glaze:
1. Combine sifted powder sugar with salt, lemon juice, and zest into a mixing bowl.
2. Blend ingredients with a wire whisk until smooth.
3. Spoon glaze over the top of the loaf, allowing some the glaze to spill over the sides.
4. Let the glaze firm up before serving; serve at room temperature.
5. Cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to four days.