Winter Rayne: A Praestes Novel By: J.M. Zuniga
What happens when an ordinary life becomes an extraordinary one? Winter Rayne thought she lived a somewhat normal teenage life, except for the teasing due to her father's outbursts of rage. Then, one day, she discovers her entire life has been a sham and she's not sure who she can trust. To make matters worse, she finds out the truth of her origins and is tossed into a world where she must fight for her very existence.
Join the world of the Praestes and the Malfaisants and discover an entire world you may never have known existed. It will make you question if there is really a life beyond the one you already know.
I was approached by the author’s best friend to do a book review for Winter Rayne: A Praestes Novel by: J.M. Zuniga. This book surprised me with a very interesting story line. There were some twists and turns that you won’t see coming; and I mean jaw dropping moments that will make your head spin. I feel like this book could be cut a little bit shorter due to it dragging along a bit. But, other than that I really did enjoy Winter Rayne: A Praestes Novel By: J.M. Zuniga. I have to say that this author does have a talent with her character development. She gets you to feel attached to her story through the characters, which is something I really enjoyed. I would recommend this book to those looking for something new and out of the normal to read.
I had the chance to get in touch with the author to find out some interesting information about her writing process.
1. I took me 3 1/2 years to finish the book.
2. The direction it went in was not what was originally intended.
3. I changed Kay's & Haley's names but then had to switch them back because the characters stopped "talking" to me LOL.
4. Derek's last name changed from Johnson to Jimenez.
5. The high school in the book actually exists.
6. Professor Craig is made up, but Mr. Henderson is based loosely on a wonderful professor my kids had in middle school.
7. I had stopped writing Winter Rayne because something had gone really wrong with the plot so I wrote Under Ground, The Core, and Ransom (all part of the TDMS Collection) instead, while I could figure out what went wrong.
8. I nearly cried when I let it go to my beta readers.
9. I bawled my eyes out when it ranked #22 in the top 100 Amazon Bestsellers>US>Hispanic. (It is at #11, as I write).
10. I actually knocked on someone's door to ask her permission to take a picture of her house, which is the inspiration for Rayne's house.
About the Author
J. M. Zuniga is a Young Adult author hoping to enter your life with a story and take you on an impacting journey. J. M. was passionate about reading until the age of twenty, when she became a wife and a mom. It took her almost fifteen years to return to her literary passion. J. M. returned to college in 2005 and with wonderfully persistent professors in community college, she was encouraged to both write and seek a higher degree. J. M. Zuniga now holds a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration with a Concentration in International Business: Emphasis in Latin America. She also holds an AS in Computer-Aided Drafting and Design, an AA in General Studies, and certificates in Engineering Drafting, Architectural Drafting, and CADD. Her original major was architecture. She currently resides in Long Beach, California. She is engaged to be married and is the mother of three wonderful children.
Find J.M. on Facebook HERE.