Here’s why this song should be in your collection!
Since June is a very popular calendar month for matrimony, let’s use it to recognize the 50th anniversary of a legendary wedding song: “Chapel of Love.”
“Chapel of Love” was co-written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phillip Harvey (Phil) Spector. Spector was then one of the music industry’s most successful record producers. Spector used several different artists on his Philles record label to record the song, including The Ronettes, featuring Veronica Bennett (better known as Ronnie Spector) on lead vocals; and The Blossoms, featuring the legendary session singer Darlene Love as lead vocalist. According to music trivia, Spector didn’t like any of those versions.
In 1963, Jerome (Jerry) Leiber and Mike Stoller (who were also successful music giants) left Atlantic Records. The first group they signed to their new Red Bird label was a trio from New Orleans, Louisiana: The Dixie Cups.
This song is available on compilation records and CDs, and in MP3 format from major vendors. Please consider purchasing them from a local independent record store.
Here’s an interesting fact!
Dixie Cups actually began in Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania. In 1957 James River Corporation bought The Dixie Cup Company and began manufacturing them at its plant in Richmond, Virginia. Dixie Cups brand is now owned by Georgia-Pacific.