Real Food Daily has two locations in L.A. serving organic, 100% vegan gourmet cuisine in Santa Monica and West Hollywood. Both sites have a reputation for serving amazing (if not slightly overpriced) vegan Sunday brunch.
The menu is mouthwatering. One would expect no less from an establishment as reputable and long-standing in the L.A. vegan scene as RFD. But is there a premium being charged just because L.A. vegans have become dependent on their crispy, smoked-to-perfection tempeh bacon? Perhaps.
Entrees are between $10.95 and $14.95, and mimosas are $9.00, so a couple dining for brunch on Sunday could easily expect to pay well over $50.00. This is indeed pretty steep, but it is worth mentioning:
- Pancakes and waffles are gluten-free. And no less fluffy or delicious. There are also a few gluten-free dessert options.
- According to their website, RFD only serves foods grown exclusively with organic farming methods.
- There are macrobiotic-balanced selections on the menu.
- With soups-, veggies-, grains-, and greens-of-the-day (daily) to choose from and some unique creations on the menu, this is a place that understands whole-food, original gourmet vegan dining, and isn't just another restaurant attempting to vegan-ize the heavy meat- and dairy-based dishes our omnivorous culture expects.
- Their french toast is the best in the city, hands down. Vanilla soy flaxseed batter? Yes, please.
Sometimes food this good is worth paying a premium for. Maybe not frequently, but sometimes. At the very least, it's worth patronizing an establishment that has opened so many Angeleno eyes and palates to how rich and delicious (and nourishing) organic vegan food can be.