After 30 some years on this planet, I finally felt it was time to do a cleanse. Originally I was leaning toward the juice cleanse craze as I am obsessed with the BoltHouse Farms smoothies. But a friend suggested the Trader Joe's Complete Body Cleanse and since it is all herbal, natural ingredients, I gave it a go.
It appealed to me because it wasn't overly restrictive and I like to exercise frequently so having energy to do so was important. Here were the rules:
* Eat small, frequent, balanced and healthy meals
* Drink plenty of water, cut out caffeine
* No processed foods, simple carbs, beef, pork, dairy, wheat and soy products
* Avoid alcohol, sugar, potatoes, saturated fats, trans fats and artificial sweeteners
And here's what I did:
* Drank water, green tea and chai tea for small doses of caffeine - once a decaf coffee from Starbucks and that was uncomfortable
* Ate tons of greens - salads and spinach
* Drank BoltHouse smoothies for a meal supplement
* Made many vegetarian substitutes such as eggplant, mushrooms and Tofurky "sausage" links
* Went to a happy hour one night and immediately regretted it as my stomach protested
The first night I took it at home because I didn't know what to expect. But it was gentle and natural and no emergencies. Most of the ingredients include milk thistle and dandelion - all natural and organic. I felt it did "cleanse" me out and I did end up dropping a few pounds and my stomach felt flatter. At points I would feel empty but my stomach was full which I assume was the fiber fills. The first week you start out slow, the second more pills. It is a lot to swallow and the pills are large but the increased full feeling and energy level spike made it worth it. An added bonus was the cleanse made me realize how sneaky bad eating habits can creep back into your life without even knowing it. I will be revamping my eating habits again and watching a little more carefully from now on. (The beef and pork deficit did not bother me as I tend not to eat much of it anyway.) Another added bonus was clear, glowing skin. It says to do these cleanses each season and for $12.99, I will certainly do so!