The giant D had barely fallen over Campus Martius on the northern bank of the Detroit River when the top workplace diversity book of the year was published. “The Diversity and Inclusion Handbook” by Sondra Thiederman came out on New Year’s Day in a year that would see Michigan’s largest company flip from a century of male leadership to having a woman, Mary Barra appointed as CEO. This move by General Motors put diversity and inclusion at the forefront of the conversation in many human resources meetings.
The book starts with a fresh look at why diversity and inclusion are important in any organization.
“When team members of all backgrounds are included, valued, and respected for their uniqueness and what they have to contribute,” says Thiederman, “they truly are more creative, more committed, more collaborative, and more motivated to participate to the fullness of their potential.”
Once the argument is made Thiederman names three areas of diversity and inclusion and provides a roadmap for the successful implementation of each. Following her principles and advise can transform your organization to new heights of productivity, quality and profits.
- Paperback: 56 pages
- Publisher: The Walk The Talk Company (January 1, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1885228619
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
Diversity by the numbers
- “Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time”.
- “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.”
- “The Diversity and Inclusion Handbook” by Sondra Thiederman.
- “Dare: Straight Talk on Confidence, Courage, and Career for Women in Charge”.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book