One thing that can be said about 2013 in Michigan business is that change ruled the year. From a human capital perspective the area of highest uncertainty is the state’s healthcare exchange and how it will impact large businesses and small businesses. Even sole proprietors are confused about healthcare for next year. Combine that with the right to work legislation passed this past summer and even the most experienced human resources professional can be confused.
There is no easy answer to the turmoil of change but November brought a valuable resource in the form of “Leading Through Uncertainty” It is the story of how Umpqua Bank emerged from the great recession better and stronger than ever. Written by Ray Davis, the bank’s CEO, it is not just about human capital.
Davis is a proven CEO with the ability to author books. His earlier work, Leading for Growth, was written earlier in the process of taking the bank from four branches to more than 200. This work takes a look at the principles of transparency, motivation, communication, reputation and more in light of how they applied to the bank’s expansion.
It will be a valuable resource for anybody in a leadership position whether their company are in good financial standing or bad.
- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (November 4, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118733029
- Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Top books for those in leadership
- “First, Break All the Rules”: What the world's greatest managers do differently.
- ‘101 Tough Conversations to Have with Employees”: A manager's guide to addressing performance, conduct and discipline challenges.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book