When Mary Barra was named CEO of General Motors it signified this would be a good year for breaking the glass ceiling. Not only is she running the largest company in Michigan, she is the first woman in the world to run an automotive company.
While Barra powered through the ceiling many other women were helped by the top diversity book of 2013, “Dare: Straight Talk on Confidence, Courage, and Career for Women in Charge”.
In compiling this book, author Becky Blalock interviewed or worked with some of the most prominent women in the business world. This included Anna Maria Chávez, CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA; Kat Cole, President of Cinnabon; Carol Tomé, CFO of Home Depot; Dr. Beverly Tatum, president of Spelman College; and Jeanette Horan, CIO of IBM and many others. Of course Blalock herself is no stranger to breaking glass ceilings. Over a 33-year career she was able to advance to CIO at the Fortune 500 Southern Company.
Readers will receive a women’s perspective for gaining confidence, speaking up, finding mentors, learning to fail, building a network of allies, managing others, and more. It is a must-read for women in the workforce (and men can learn from it too).
- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (October 7, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 111856264X
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
Diversity by the numbers
- “Three Cups of Tea”: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say”: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- “50 Activities” for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book.