If you are on a budget but you want to buy a good eye primer. Here is a list of my top 3 picks that I use in my professional makeup kit.
1. Elf Eye primer- This is by far the most affordable, priced at only $1! You can buy this at your local drug store, Wal-Mart or online. Elf's eye primer does the job. It has a quick drying time and it does prevent the eye shadow from caking up after hours of wear. If you have oily eyelids or you sweat a lot I definitely recommend this brand. I have tried it on several clients that have oily eyelids and after more than 8 hours wear, there was no eye shadow creasing. One other thing I noticed is that the eye shadows did not fade away from oils.
2. Nyx Jumbo Pencil- You may be saying to yourself, "That is not a primer" well your right. However, it does an amazing job as a base for eye shadows. These pencil holds eye shadows on all day, and it adds brightness to your eye shadows. If you have oily, combination or dry skin on your lids, no worries. Nyx Jumbo Pencils work because it's a pencil or stick cream formula. The eye shadow acts as a powder seal once you put it on, locking your eye shadow in place and blocking moisture from messing up your awesome smoky eyes.
3. Sonia Kashuk- I really like Sonia Kashuks formulas. This eye primer is great quality. You can find this item at Target or online. The smooth formula really leaves a silky feeling on your eyes that gives you long wear. Its translucent, and very lightweight. If you are not into cream bases, you should definitely try this brand.
Here are my recommendations for skin types:
1. Elf eye primer for oily, normal and combination skin types.
2. Nyx Jumbo pencil for normal, combination and dry skin.
3. Sonia Kashuks eye primer for normal, combination, and dry skin.
After you cleanse your face and moisture, put a thin layer of eye primer on your eyelids. Allow 30 secs to dry before applying your desired eye shadows. If you are going to create a smoky eye you should apply primer to your entire lid, from the bottom of your eyebrows to your eye lashes. If your eye shadow fades you just need to apply 2 layers of primer to your eyelids. Also try to pat on your eye shadow instead of smearing it across your eyelids.
There is so much competition in the world of makeup. However if you take a little time to review 2 or 3 like items, you will find that not everything that is expensive is actually the best. For less you can enjoy high quality eye primers that give you long lasting wear, without creasing for any special event. There are many different kinds of eye primers out there. There are liquid, cream and gel eye primers. Do your research and find out which works best for your skin type.