“The Walking Dead: The Complete Season Three” is the latest aired season of the AMC television show, featuring 16 episodes with the season finale airing on March 31, 2013.
The list of episodes are as follows:
- “Walk with Me”
- “Killer Within”
- “Say the Word”
- “When the Dead Come Knocking”
- “Made to Suffer”
- “The Suicide King”
- “I Ain’t No Judas”
- “Arrow on the Doorpost”
- “This Sorrowful Life”
- “Welcome to the Tombs”
The third season introduces several notable characters from the comics, including The Governor, Michonne, and Tyreese. The main group is seen primarily in an abandoned prison that they clear of zombies to live in safely, only to be antagonized by the new bad guy known as The Governor. This brings a new type of survival to the show that was not seen in the first two seasons, and creates a scariness that only a living human can provide with the Governor’s cold interior. All of it builds up into an unforgettable season finale that leaves audiences waiting for season four.
“The Walking Dead: The Complete Season Three” has a run time of approximately 688 minutes, and is rated TV-14.
The Blu-ray features a 1080p/AVC-encoded presentation in the original 1.78:1 aspect ratio. The presentation is just as good as the previous seasons. The transfer features fine details and great color definition while retaining the show’s natural look. There is some minor softness, but overall the material shows visuals as they are supposed to look.
The Blu-ray features a lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track, which is the best track out there. This top-notch surround track handles the highs and lows with an equal perfectness. The action and gunfire is powerful and accurate. Ambience is immersive with all the southern insects chirping in the background. Finally, dialogue is featured clearly front and center. This is a perfect track.
There are multiple commentary tracks, but no Blu-ray exclusives. The bonus features include:
- Commentary with “Killer Within” Director Guy Ferland and Actor IronE Singleton
- Commentary with “Say the Word” Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Makeup Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Danai Gurrira
- Commentary with “Made to Suffer” Executive Producer/Writer Robert Kirkman, Executive Producers David Alpert and Gale Anne Hurd and Actor Danai Gurrira
- Commentary with “The Suicide King” Executive Producer Gale Anne Hurd and Actor Danai Gurrira
- Commentary with “This Sorrowful Life” Director/Co-Executive Producer/Special Effects Makeup Artist Greg Nicotero and Actor Michael Rooker
- Deleted scenes
- Rising Son
- Evil Eye
- Gone, But Not Forgotten
- Heart of a Warrior
- Michonne vs. The Governor
- Safety Behind Bars
- Making the Dead
- Guts and Glory
“The Walking Dead: The Complete Season Three” is as dark and emotional as the rest of the series, but keeps audiences watching with a firm hold on their addictions. Season four premieres on October 13, 2013, leaving plenty of time to catch up with this great DVD and Blu-ray release.
Follow me on Twitter or subscribe to this column at the top of the page to keep up on all future news, reviews, interviews and giveaways.