Pizza just isn't going to be known as a healthy dinner, but there are certainly ways to suffice the cravings without only eating loads of fat and carbs. Whether a vegetarian or an omnivore, the toppings matter as much as the bread type.
Pizza fat breakdown:
- An entire cheese Flatizza from Subway has 16 grams of total fat, and a vegetable Flatizza has 17 grams of total fat.
- One Pizza Hut breadstick has 5 grams of total fat. They usually come in a package of three so that's 15 grams of fat.
- A personal pan pizza has 24 grams of total fat.
- Domino's has almost 5 grams of total fat for each hand-tossed slice. Two to three slices add up to 15 grams.
- Giordano's, the epitome of food porn, stuffed pizza has almost 8 grams of total fat on one slice of a 12".
- Gino's deep dish cheese pizza slices have 13 grams, and slices with spinach and garlic have 15 total fat grams.
None of these options are what would be called healthy.
For Weight Watchers members, the point count for the above meals are the following:
- Subway cheese Flatizza -- whole pizza cut into four squares (10 points)
Subway vegetable Flatizza -- whole pizza cut into four squares (11 points)
- Pizza Hut breadsticks (12 points)
- Pizza Hut personal pan pizza (16 points)
- Domino's 2-3 slices (6 points for a small pizza; 9 points for a medium pizza)
- Giordano's deep dish slice (approximately 5 points for 1/8 slice of a 12" pizza)
- Gino's deep dish cheese slice (7 points)
- Gino's deep dish spinach and garlic slice (8 points)
However, including dietary fiber on a pizza can make a high-fat meal reasonably healthier than one with just meat and cheese or a cheese-only pizza. And a Subway Flatizza is a one-stop shop to do all of that at once.
What's the difference between Subway's Flatizza and other restaurants with pizza with almost the same amount of fat? Money.
Minus the extra cost for avocado, Subway charges the same amount for healthier toppings as it would for plain cheese pizza. Take advantage of the price difference for a mouth-watering dish with fresh ingredients.
Check out the gallery above for suggestions for making all pizza healthier.
Follow Shamontiel on Pinterest for all of her latest Chicago vegetarian entries, or subscribe to her Chicago Vegetarian channel at the top of this page. Also, follow her "Diet & Exercise" and "Vegetarian World" Pinterest boards.
Follow Shamontiel on Pinterest for all of her latest Chicago nutrition and fitness entries, or subscribe to her Chicago Diet and Exercise channel at the top of this page. Also, follow her @BlackHealthNews.