Better Homes and Gardens has been wowing readers with recipes since 1922. In the year 1969 the Better Homes and Gardens Ground Meat Cook Book was published, offering readers 350 recipes for every occasion. This books is filled with many gems but my personal favorite is the recipe for Stuffed Pepper Cups (found on page 32.)
The recipe is as follows:
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/3 cup of chopped onion
- a 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces of shredded cheddar
- Remove the tops of the peppers.
- Remove the deeds and ribs.
- Precook the peppers in boiling salted water for five minutes.
- Sprinkle the insides of the peppers generously with salt.
- Brown the meat and the onion.
- Add half teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup of water, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and allow to simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Stir in cheese.
- Fill each pepper cup with the meat and rice mixture.
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
This is an outstanding recipe! The best stuffed pepper recipe that I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. If you enjoy the taste of a sweeter pepper, feel free to substitute red, orange, or yellow peppers for the green peppers. If you want a healthier version of this recipe, feel free to substitute brown rice for the white rice. If you are like me and enjoy cheese more than any other food group, simply sprinkle some cheese on top of the pepper cups to add a more elegant (and cheesy) presentation.
I highly recommend this recipe to pepper fans as well as those who are skeptics. Growing up I hated the idea of even touching a pepper. But once my mother made this recipe for me I was sold for life. I continue to make this recipe twenty years later and have gotten many a compliment when I have prepared it for others. This is a flawless stuffed pepper recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Baltimore City residents can purchase Better Homes and Gardens Ground Meat Cook Book (ISBN: 696-00480-1) at the following locations:
Ivy Book Store
6080 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21209
Barnes and Nobel Power Plant
601 East Pratt Street
Baltimore, MD 21202