Frustrated with the lack of healthy, tasty snacks for their tree-nut/peanut allergic children, Pete and Dave ("The Two Dads") decided to do something about it: start their own company, Skeeter Snacks.
From their website:
- WHAT STEPS DO YOU TAKE TO MAKE SURE THE SNACKS ARE SAFE FOR PEOPLE WITH TREE-NUT AND PEANUT ALLERGIES (TPA)?
- We have a very strict NUT TESTING PROTOCOL. All of our partners and suppliers know our requirements and know they will not be in business with us if they fail to meet our requirements.
- WHY DO YOU ONLY TAKE OUT TREE NUTS AND PEANUTS AND NOT ALL OF THE BIG 8 ALLERGENS?
- We started the company because we each have a child with tree-nut and peanut allergies (TPAs), so that was our original focus. We were frustrated parents and consumers. After we lived with the problem and decided there was a business opportunity we considered whether we wanted to go after all of the Big 8 allergens. We ultimately decided to keep our focus on TPAs for a couple of reasons. First, TPAs are the most lethal, most prevalent and fastest growing food allergens, and they are mostly not outgrown in adolescence.
- DO YOU THINK NON-ALLERGIC PEOPLE WILL BUY SKEETERS?
- Absolutely. Try them. They’re awesome. Why wouldn’t someone buy these? We really think that given the number of TPA sufferers out there that in the future being nut-free will be a given for a product being sold to kids.
I agree completely. At less than $4 per box (it's currently $10.77 for 3 boxes on Amazon), it's very affordable and simply delicious. We sampled a box of their Cinnamon Grahams and we loved them. They're tasty and all natural with whole grains, no trans-fats, and no HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup). The ingredient list is unbelievably short (only 10 items), and they all come together wonderfully.
My wife would like to see them offer non-GMO and organic versions of their snacks, since we try to buy organic (or at least non-GMO) foods for our kids whenever we can. That said, she was very happy to see the all-natural ingredients and the lack of unhealthy additives like trans fats and corn syrup.
I think this is something we'll definitely be be buying again in the future. Well done, Skeeter Snacks!
Disclosure: I received a box of Skeeter Snacks Cinnamon Grahams to sample and review. I received no other compensation.