This has been the hardest review I have written up to date, because, well, this place is indescribable...
Why? Because Egg Plantation is like walking into a breakfast wonderland, where you can order anything your heart may desire for breakfast, and their portions are fit for an NFL linebacker!
But it doesn't stop at breakfast. Their menu includes super-sized salads, wraps, burgers, and specialty sandwiches. Did I mention their breakfast menu includes 101 omelettes?
Yes, 101. That means, if you went there every day and had a different omelette seven days a week, then that only leaves you with two-thirds of a year to try something else.
But the omelettes don't stop there. Owner Simon Mee says they can make ANY creation of omelette that a customer may have, with their most popular one being #74 which is a four-egg omelette with avocado, bacon, tomatoes, green onion and jack cheese.
All their omelettes are made with four eggs and include your choice of country potatoes, hash browns, O'brien potatoes, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, three slices of tomato or pineapple and your choice of toast includes a grilled roll, whole wheat, sourdough, white, English muffin, rye, cinnaon raisin, or a homemade biscuit.
Mee and his wife Shannon have owned Egg Plantation since 2000 and it is a rollback to the old days, where family owned business' were able to thrive.
Mee, who is originally from Nottingham, England (yes, the Robin Hood Nottingham) said in the current economy, he's been able to successful by keeping it simple -- By maintaining great customer service and great food. Egg Plantation does keep it simple, as they are only open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. seven days a week.
Located 15 minutes north of the San Fernando Valley in Newhall, Egg Plantation has been voted Best Breakfast by publications Elite Magazine and The Signal. Shannon (from Northridge) has been featured on The Food Network and their website includes this bit, as well as their menu which you can get to by clicking here.
Their yelp reviews are the highest I've seen, with an average of four and a half stars which you can see here.
Here is a breakdown of what I tried:
- #74 - Their number one seller, which did not disappoint, with my favorite fruit (avocado) being evenly distributed in the omelette, and meshing with the cheese and bacon. (Turkey bacon is optional.)
- Pesto Scram - Four eggs scrambled with pesto, chicken, spinach and tomatoes, topped with feta cheese. Everything is made with fresh ingredients, including farmer's market fruits and vegetables, which makes everything that much better...
- Steph's - Off of the employee favorites, Steph's is Crab Benedict: Toasted English Muffin, topped with sauteed crab, spinach and garlic, topped with two poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. One word - WOW! Real crab mixed with egg becomes an exotic breakfast that you can't help but keep on trying.
- Strawbery Stuffed French Toast - A MUST TRY! A thick egg bread filled with cream cheese, strawberry preserves topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Dessert? Who needs dessert when you have this. Absolutely melts in your mouth, and you will not want to share this with anyone!
- Kim's - Half pound of tender Kobe beef topped with bleu cheese, bacon, baby greens, and grilled red onion on a sesame toasted bun, served with sweet potato fries. Did I mention they serve MORE than breakfast? The Kobe beef says it all...
- Pumpkin Latte - Their seasonal latte served with a fresh biscotti, makes you feel all warm inside. And the biscotti is not the hard one you will find at your local coffee shop, but soft because their made fresh.
They also have a full bar, with their most popular drinks being their signature Bloody Mary and Pomegranate Mimosa...
What does this place not have? Valet. But plenty of parking is available, and if you come primetime, expect a small wait. They also have a patio which features a guitar player on the weekends.
When asked about the wildest story, Mee said two people met at their bar area, sparked a conversation, and recently spent their ten year anniversary after falling in love. Mee doesn't promise love, but DOES promise great food, great service, and a smile everytime you see him there.
Why was this the hardest review, with nothing but good stuff to say? Well, too much good stuff. I could say they offer a business card, with punchouts for 12 omelettes and getting the 13th one free, a free meal on your birthday, or that they crack over 7,000 eggs a week... But I'll stop here, and the rest you'll have to find out on your own.
For more questions you can contact them at 661.255.8222 and their address is 24415 Walnut Street in Newhall.