September 26, 2013
Harvest and Halloween are in the air. Attend local talks and workshops to learn how to use the last of a good local harvest to make terrific meals and decorate for the autumn season.
- Roanoke Harvest Festival on Saturday, September 28 , 10am - 4pm at the Historic City Market. Vendors will be on hand with fresh produce and autumn favorites, including farm-fresh pumpkins and crisp, locally grown apples. Activities for the family will include: the Haley Toyota Children's Area with face-painting, pumpkin painting, petting zoo, train rides, panning for gold, roasted corn, an apple butter making booth, local crafters, and the crowd-favorite antique tractors! Local live music and acts entertain throughout the day. Sponsored in part by Haley Toyota.
- "Beat the Clock" on Tuesday, October 1, 6:00 to 7:15pm at the Hollins Library, 6624 Peters Creek Road, Roanoke. Good food in a hurry presented by VA Co-op. Extension , Master Food Volunteers and the Roanoke County Public Library System.
- "October Oddities" from October 1 – 3 at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden,1800 Lakeside Avenue, Richmond, 23228. Refresh your “garden spirit” with displays and activities for all ages. Enjoy vignettes designed to provoke a sense of curiosity and wonder using underappreciated oddities of nature and ‘horti-torture.' Every Saturday in October from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. the Garden presents opportunities to explore “Oddities and Curiosities” in the Children’s Garden.
- "Garden Club of Virginia Rose Show," Wednesday and Thursday; October 2, 2 - 6 p.m., Thursday, October 3, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden.
- "Rose Fest, " Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6: noon – 3 p.m. both days at the Lewis Ginter Botanical garden. The Rose Garden is in full bloom; there will be informal tours, live music and more.