Extreme, an adjective that means reaching a high or the highest degree; very great. Cheapskate, a noun that means a stingy person, a miser.
When you put these two words together, it is the title and premise of a show on TLC, Extreme Cheapskates. This show, which airs weekly. shows the extremely frugal measures that are taken by singles, couples and families in order to save money.
Some instances have a great deal of ick factor, like the couple who uses the same piece of dental floss and the man who dug popcorn out of the movie theater garbage can for his date who was hungry. On another episode a woman details how she collects her urine in a bottle to use on her garden. She says it adds nutrition to the soil and cuts down on flushing the toilet. She also never showers at home, due to the cost of water, instead she showers at the gym she belongs to.
Here are more examples:
- One episode details how a woman washes her laundry in the shower while bathing, and sleeps on yoga mats rather then a bed. She also refuses to use toilet paper.
- One man does clinical drug trials, earning $3500.00 by inserting ointment into his rectum for a week. He also washes his car at gas stations, using the window squeegee.
- Roy freezes his credit card in ice to prevent his wife from spending money, and he also washes and reuses paper towels.
- One family of 6 was embarrassed when the husband would only pay for 3 plates at a buffet. They protested but he was adamant and they eventually shared the plates of food.
- Stephanie owns one lightbulb. She unscrews it whenever she is going into another room, preventing any lights being left on inadvertently. She also chooses to cook lasagna in her dishwasher while it is also being used as its intended purpose, washing a small load of dishes.
- Jordan, a Utah housewife who lives in an upscale subdivision boasting multi million dollar homes, asks neighbors for leftovers, and also bakes cookies in her car parked in the hot sun. Based on the children's ages, she rations out food. For example, the 3 year old gets 3 cheerios. She is also raising chickens and goats in the backyard for eggs and milk.
All in all, interesting to see what extreme measures are taken, but there is little that could help an ordinary frugal person save money. TLC airs Extreme Cheapskates on Wednesday evenings, and you can also watch clips on their website which is http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/extreme-cheapskates.