The Sysko Scale
Drake is arguably the best rapper in the world currently; whether you agree or disagree you cant deny his accolades and his hits. Drake dominates the blogs, the charts and gossip; he is the Justin Beiber of rap. This 3rd solo project NWTS is in my opinion his worst effort to date, but let me stress this album is still much better than most albums this year including, MCHG, Gifted, and BOATS. Its top 3 for sure in 2013. It seems that Drake believes his winning formula is to sing more than rap, which in my opinion is a mistake; only the great Lauryn Hill can do that and do it well. Drake was quoted recently that he would record a singing only album in his future. As far as song writing Drake is solid but his vocals are very much limited and to sing for a whole album is going to take much creativity on his part unless the good lord blesses him with range, and I don’t see that happening but I’ve seen miracles happen so anything is possible.
Lets get to the break down track for track:
The Sysko Scale
$= Don’t spend your money.
$$=Download it 1st before you buy.
$$$=Good enough to buy.
$$$$=Buy for you and someone else.
$$$$$= Buy for your iPod, car, and house it’s a classic.
Drake, Nothing Was The Same, Out Now
1. Tuscan leather- you like to hear Drake talking sh*t? Well this is your song. Money, rap career, he's more popular than lil wayne and speaking on him and Nicki Minaj. It’s a 2 part song, 2 different beats but a lot of the same talk. Its vintage hip-hop, glad to hear him actually RAPPING. It’s a good album filler. Overall 3.5
2. Furthest Thing- One thing Drake is awesome at is taking a beat and making it his. This is vintage Drake, speaking on women and those that didn’t treat him properly. Young man struggle raps I call it, but overall it’s a pretty dope song. Oh yeah the beat changes, last beat better than the first, overall 4
3. Started From The Bottom- One of the most polarizing songs of 2013. This song created great conversation, but nevertheless its one of the best anthems of the year without a doubt. Overall 5
4. Wu-Tang Forever- the mixture of singing and rapping begins with this song. The beat and his vocals are annoying. I want to be objective about this song but sorry its basura (garbage). I can see folks with an emotional base feeling this song but for me it’s a fail. Overall 1.5
5. Own It- the intro is a bit long and as exciting as watching women’s basketball. Once the track starts it leaves you wanting more, it seems as if more comes but its stays on the same boring keel. Drake's recipe of first part-singing then a rapping break is becoming predictable. I’m starting to expect the same formula. Overall 2.5
6. Worst Behaviour- a bit upbeat, the beat is awesome. Drake on his underdog raps. But his flow and the beat are in sync like a heart beat. A different energy is on this song, like his still on his first album. Overall 4.5
7. Hold on, we're going home- a top hit, cant deny that. Made for the z100 ears, this is a fan base growing song. If you're looking for rappity raps this is not the song for you. Overall 3.5
8. From Time- this is a song artists should have on their albums. A song that speaks from the heart. He talks about his father; people who helped him get on and exes. Drake’s versatility comes off here as far as content. But in true Drake style, he goes on about some random girl who worked at Hooters. Overall 4
9. Connect- if you enjoy Drake's attempted to sing then you will like this song. Another track where he's talking about some chick. Overall 2.5
10. The Language- More vintage Drake, a little rapping, a little singing. Money, cash, hoes rapping. The beat is cool, one thing is for sure when he raps he's one of the best. Overall, 3.5
11. 305 to my city- this is a perfect song when you're under the influence. A drunken man's anthem. Overall 3
12. Too Much- Great intro, the beat is hard, his flow is amazing, dope hook. This song is the complete package but it lacks peaks and valleys, overall 4.5
13. Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2- The Jay-z verse on this song was supposed to be on MCHG but instead ended up copy and pasted on this song. Pound Cake is a nice record, anytime you have Drake and Jay-z on the same track you know you're getting quality. Paris Morton Music is the epitome of music. Drake when he wants to can really reach down with raps that reach your soul. Paris Morton Music is the better of the two. Overall 5
14. Come Thru- Nice song, nice hook, its the kind of song that songs good in the car cruising your city with a sexy lady in the car. Overall, 4
15. All Me (feat 2 Chainz, Big Sean)- Dope song, great song for the radio and the streets. The song is great but it could've done without Big Sean, not that Big Sean's verse was bad but he wasn’t necessary. I would've rather heard a new artist or maybe Nicki Minaj. Overall 4.5
I predicted 690k albums sales 1st week.
For all your music news, reviews and everything in between visit #Music