There are several tools that project managers can use to manage their projects, tasks, and teams. Microsoft products such as Project and Outlook are popular choices. However, for organizing projects, deliverables and milestones a project manager also needs a great tool. Luckily there is a web-based application that project managers can use which has many key features. This tool is called Podio and is part of Citrix Systems. Below are the good and the bad of this online application.
1. Customization of dashboard. The main page for Podio can be rearranged and contain tiles for projects, tasks, calendar, and contacts along with other items. Apps across top can include milestones, deliverables, meetings, projects and even items such as ideas, vacations, and roles.
2. Customization of input areas for all apps and items. Users can add, remove, and update necessary fields using drag and drop. For example, the project app can have due dates, responsible party, and even a progress slider; or these fields can be removed just as easily.
3. Reminders and recurring tasks. The reminders set up will deliver emails to those responsible for the task. The recurring task feature is handy for those tasks users must do over and over.
4. Different workspaces for multiple people or areas in same company. Workspaces can also be private; by invitation only.
5. Widgets along the side of the screen. Tasks, tags, projects by owner, due by month, and category are just some of the available options for widgets.
6. Tags and categories are available for easy searching and sorting.
7. Files can be uploaded within individual apps or to a file library.
8. Chat and activity stream options can be very useful for quick updates.
1. Reminders are not free-form customizable. Users must choose from a drop-down with choices from 10 minutes before to the day before the due date.
2. Cannot close or archive a project. The solution is to create a category for a project and then use that to sort.
3. Recurring tasks are limited to weekly, monthly, yearly on a particular day of the week. They are not free-form customizable.
4. No themes, backgrounds or other color choices for any elements.
There are also downloadable apps for Android and iOS to organize on the go. Free and paid plans are available that are priced by the number of users. Podio has more good features than bad that any project manager would find useful.