Until yesterday, my favorite method was an older, acrylic bong (Ok - Utah - a “water pipe”) that had seen better days. It was still functional, but tended to produce a great deal of smoke, which is probably not the best idea as I age.
Pipes of all kinds have passed through these hands, and passing on my favorite to a dear friend today will bring me all sorts of joy, as I have determine my new PAX (by Ploom) vaporizer is the only way I will ever ingest my choice of herbal medication, other than mediebles, another dear favorite.
Favorite features of the PAX include:
- It heats any dry herb or flower to a pure, clean flavor. There is no combustion, therefore no second hand smoke. Click here for more detailed information.
- The battery, according to their website, is a “permanent, internal lithium battery with an automatic motion control”. No more worries about this old lady dropping a roach or sparking a hookah and burning down the house.
- By gently shaking the PAX, the status and temperature with a simple light.
- The wide heater chamber (or oven) makes refills easy. By packing the dry material (no concentrates or oils have been sampled) firmly, the user ensures a much better vapor cloud. The taste is clean, the results are amazing.
- It appears the cough may be a thing of the past by using this vaporizer. It does not produce smoke and the smell is much less intense.
- There is no noise of any kind, extremely stealth and durable. The cover is welded steel and comes in a good variety, including Amethyst (purple), Cobalt (blue), Emerald (green) and Onyx (black). The steel ensures no finger prints and the grip is nice.
- It offers precise control with a choice of three temperatures and never gets hot to the touch. The mouthpiece works well and it comes with lubricant to make it perform like nice. It also comes with cleaning brushes and a simple instruction manual.
- PAX requires little setup or wait time. Initially it charged for approximately an hour and was functional for more than three hours. It requires little material and does not burn it, therefore no nasty ash or bong water to deal with.
- The PAX is completely portable and safe and comes with a limited ten year warranty.
- Probably the best feature of the PAX is there is no need for a lighter. Never losing a lighter or finding one in the wash was worth the investment.
Best piece of advice? Do not pull as if this the PAX is a bong. Take short puffs for the best, visible vapor and results. Treat it more like a nice cigar and not a clogged pipe.
The unit, according to the Ploom website, retails for $249.99 and comes with free shipping. Needless to say, when I was fortunate enough to walk into a local Utah smoke shop and find a beautiful PAX in amethyst, and got a huge discount. It was a very good day.