The Lower East Side has undergone a major transformation in the last decade. Once a grungy and dangerous area full of winos and heroine addicts, it is now a grungy and happening area full of chic boutiques, lounges, and great restaurants—including hole-in-the-walls like Nonna’s L.E.S. Pizzeria.
Located at 105 Clinton Street, between Rivington Street and Delancey Streets, Nonna’s can be a tad difficult to find because of its small storefront and the fact that construction scaffolding covers the sidewalk. But once found, you are in for a treat. New York City is full of pizzerias, but this one you will surely not forget.
Inside, one is immediately greeted with a pizza oven, a friendly staff, and a food display showcasing Nonna’s mouthwatering slices. Stand at the counter and just choose whatever you want. They’ll bring it to your table in the back.
On my trip there I was able to sample a number of delicious selections from their menu. Here is what I had:
- Grandma’s Famous Square Pie: Homemade fresh mozzarella, Nonna’s secret tomato sauce, basil, and freshly grated parmigiano raggiano.
- Pancetta: Homemade fresh mozzarella, caramelized onions, and pancetta.
- Alla Pera: Homemade fresh mozzarella, gorgonzola, pears, and walnuts.
- Paesano: Homemade fresh mozzarella, Nonna’s secret tomato sauce, sausage, roasted red peppers, and mushrooms.
- Old Fashioned Spaghetti and Meatballs: Imported spaghetti, marinara sauce, and large, delicious meatballs.
- Nonna’s Favorite Salad: Baby arugula, green Granny Smith apple, crumbled gorgonzola, walnuts, with imported olive oil and aged balsamic reduction.
Everything I sampled was delicious, but my favorites were the Pancetta, Grandma’s Pie, and the Paesano. The salad with the walnuts and balsamic was also scrumptious.
If you are looking for delicious slices with unique toppings, a cozy atmosphere, and a friendly staff, you cannot go wrong with Nonna’s.
Current Specials: Any 2 regular slice and drink for $5.00 (limited time offer)
Nonna’s L.E.S. Pizzeria:
105 Clinton Street, between Rivington Street and Delancey Streets
Trains: J,M,Z to Essex Street; F to Delancey Street
Blue Moon Hotel. 100 Orchard Street. 212-533-9080
Comfort Inn Lower East Side. 136 Ludlow Street. 212-260-4141
Hotel on Rivington. 107 Rivington Street. 212-475-2600