Double dare anyone who loves his or her mother to the end of the rainbow and worships her as inspiring hero to not want her to feel like a queen on Mother’s Day.
If you are one tiara and two Versailles’ short of the royal accouterments – the good news is the Palace Hotel’s Villard Michel Richard will be offering its first-ever Mother’s Day buffet that is guaranteed to make Mothers feel like the queen bee.
What’s more is -- there is more.
Think of it as a double header – or a double feature.
Take Mother to visit the Kips Bay Showhouse, located in the Villard House – right across the iconic courtyard from the restaurant. http://www.kipsbaydecoratorshowhouse.org
The Showhouse is akin to Parisian fashion runway for home décor – over the top drama and very glamorous. One leaves each room wondering, “How did they think of this design??!” http://gardenglamour-duchessdesigns.blogspot.com/2014/05/kips-bay-decorator-show-house-2014.html
After a leisurely and inspiring stroll through the three floors of astonishing decorative arts - head over to a dizzying culinary arts experience.
Plus, anyone who attends the Kips Bay Showhouse can bring their ticket to Villard Michel Richard or Pomme Palais and enjoy 15% off for the entire time the Showhouse is open – including Mother’s Day brunch.
So Mom will think you are the smarty-pants genius she brought you up to be with this winning combination.
Over a spectacular buffet, the entire family can weigh in on the glamorous home designs while dining in what is arguably New York’s most magnificent dining settting.
Design2 Conversation extended
The Michel Richard restaurant occupies a landmark space that was gently updated when chef Michel took over the reins of the restaurant. http://www.examiner.com/review/villard-michel-richard-restaurant-review?no_cache=1398955630
The Villard House architecture and grand interior command awestruck reverence.
Marble walls that are not unlike a rich Gorgonzola cheese, gold-coffered ceilings that could make Tiffany’s blush and floral designs that whisper lofty floral art.
They don’t call it the palace for nothing.
Here, the concept of “good taste” extends from the décor to the food.
This Examiner sampled some of the Mother’s Day menu offerings and can recommend the menu selections as delicious, extravagant and special; in other words, Mother’s Day worthy.
Extra points go to having all the breads and pastries made on site. Ahhh.
And the jewel-like pastries that could feel at home at Cartier's -- or Tiffany's -- are confection classics with a wink.
The Mother’s Day buffet will be sumptuously displayed in the entrance hall of this classic, architectural gem, er, palace.
The food offerings are fit for a Queen.
Mother’s Day Buffet Menu
· Spring green pea soup
· Yellow tomato gazpacho
· Tomato mozzarella basil Poached shrimp, cocktail sauce Smoked salmon board with all trimmings Crab coleslaw
· *New York style Nicoise salad is all dressed up with fresh seared tuna slices, goat cheese, red wine vinaigrette, avocado, eggs, string beans, anchovies and black olives
· *Caesar salad is a creamy Caesar salad draping a wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce.
Warm potato & leek salad
Green asparagus, shallot dressing Oysters
· Sashimi ahi tuna & yellow tail
· Halibut meunière
· * Pan-seared Striped Bass, bouillabaisse sauce with ribbons of salad toppings including nicely spiced radish
· * Sautéed, huge, pan-seared scallops, mushroom sauce, pureed carrots, ginger vinaigrette. This is a must have.
· Lobster cakes, lobster bisque
· Rack of lamb, garlic lamb jus
· Beef tenderloin, beef jus, horseradish
· Roasted chicken, chicken rosemary jus
· *Braised short rib, zinfandel sauce with melt-in your-mouth baby vegetables of Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips and garlic mashed potatoes
· Gratin dauphinois Haricots verts Tomato Provençale Sauteed wild mushrooms Cauliflower gratin Potato purée
· Cheese and bread station
· 3 chocolate mousse
· Hazelnut chocolate cake, Chocolate bar Michel’s napoleon, éclairs, cheesecake Eggceptional
· Tarts: Apple tart, bourdalou pear tart, raspberry tart
· Vacherin raspberry mousse
· Fruit salad Chocolate strawberry
· Chocolate grape chocolate truffles & cookies
Cost for the Mother’s Day buffet is $125 per person. Bar service is separate.
When everyone is ready to surrender from haute design and is getting far too heady with Chef Michel Richard’s intoxicating menu and before it’s inevitable “food coma” sets in, deliver one last sparkler.
Happy in the Kitchen
One can saunter to chef’s pastry shop on the lower level for take-home treats as well as get any of his cookbooks to be autographed by chef.
His artistry includes drawing. His autograph is a whimsical happy chef graphic.
And speaking of happy, the acclaimed French chef, gets “Happy in the Kitchen” with his lunch cooking demo series beginning on May 17 at The Apartment at the New York Palace hotel.
Chef Michel is known for his whimsy and gourmet cuisine, and this inaugural cooking demo will be the start of a series for chef Michel Richard in Gotham.
Additional upcoming dates include June 14 and July 12, each featuring a different menu.
For $150 (includes tax / gratuity) guests will have an extraordinary May morning with Michel Richard. The engaging chef will start with a cooking demonstration (a great time for guests to ask questions as well) and three course menu preparation including:
- First Course: Salmon Rillettes
- Entrée: Beef Shabu-Shabu
- Dessert: Pineapple Tatin
Following the demonstration, guests are asked to take a seat in the dining room where the three-course lunch is served with wine pairings.
Happy in the Kitchen and Sweet Magic will be available for purchase before and after the demonstration. Michel will be available for book signing and additional questions.
Space is limited, as each class will only hold 25 people total. Advance registration and reservations are required. Seating is unreserved, stadium-style, so all can view Michel at his demo kitchen. Photos and recording devices are permitted.
$150 – includes tax & tip
What was Chef Michel Richard’s mother’s favorite food, this Examiner asked.
Happy Mother’s Day.